Thread: Southwest Introduces EarlyBird Check-In

Southwest Introduces EarlyBird Check-In

Essentially adding another "class," for $10 you can now reserve a boarding position immediately after the Business Select and Rapid Rewards A-Listers with a new service called EarlyBird Check-In. The service goes on sale today, for flights starting tomorrow.

Southwest Airlines introduces EarlyBird Check-In
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Re: Southwest Introduces EarlyBird Check-In

They just got $20 bucks from me.

Once again I will repeat what I have said at the other two sites, frankly Tom I am surprised you are ok with this and was willing to pay for the service.

A16-30 was still reserved for A-Listers and will continue to be so for as many A Listers for that specific flight leg.

Unless you were an A Lister you were not going to get A16-A30. If there was NO A lister on that flight segment, then you could possibly have gotten those early cards.

Those using the Early Boarding Fee will board AFTER Biz Select and A Listers, Early Boarding Fee, guarantees you will before general boarding groups, this does NOT mean you will be getting an A Card at all.

You could pay 10 bucks and get a B Card, but that is fine cause, that just goes to show you how many Biz Select and A Listers were on the flight.

I am a bit torn on this, I am all for increasing revenue, without taking away the regular stuff, and this still allows bags to be checked for free (up to 2), free drinks and snacks among other things.

WN has said many passengers have voiced they'd be willing to pay for it so lets see if they actually do.

One thing for sure, passengers are no longer equal on WN any more, how long before we see F Class seats?! O_o

PS-For those who are booked on WN and wanna know the loads to see if it will be a full flight and you think you need to pay the 20 bucks r/t shoot a PM and I will check the loads for you and see if I think you should purchase it, if its a wide open the flight, I don't see the value in purchasing the check in, but if it is full then by all means go for it. It also depends on the stage of the flight length also.

PSS-How is this "news" under Trip Reports? Wouldn't this be under News in Aviation?
    Alex
    www.southwest.com Bags Fly Free. Anytime, Anywhere on Southwest Airlines. Share the LUV!

Once again I will repeat what I have said at the other two sites, frankly Tom I am surprised you are ok with this and was willing to pay for the service.
    I'm not big on this but two things that require me to do this for my next trip. One, I will not be able to check in 24 hours prior, and two my mother will be traveling with me and I don't want to risk her not getting a decent seat. Plus its only 10 bucks each way...its not going to break the bank.

They got my $20 as well. Same reason, not sure if I will have access 24 hours before.

Wow!

Well, Southwest thanks ya! I couldn't get my own Dad to do it! haha He just booked WN STL-MCO r/t in a week and a half, and doesn't give a crap where he sits on WN.

Alex
    www.southwest.com Bags Fly Free. Anytime, Anywhere on Southwest Airlines. Share the LUV!

Not a bad idea. It costs Southwest nothing to implement this, so whatever they make is profit. Worst that can happen is some passengers possibly getting confused that they didn't get A-passes.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Being curious, and not able to find out any info online, I made a call to SWA last night. Here's the deal on the Early Bird check-in:

It is available to purchase at anytime, and SWA will check you in 36 hours before departure. You can print your boarding pass out at ANY time between 24 hours out and when you get to the airport.

So my next question was...in what order are the check-in's done?
    The answer was First In First Out, based on the time you purchase the Early Bird option. In other words, you buy a ticket today, and get the Early Bird option...your boarding number will be AHEAD of anyone who books AFTER you...aside from the Biz-select & Full fare passengers.

So now knowing all the facts, it's worth it if you buy your tickets (and EB option) early...if you buy your tickets a day or two ahead of time....probably not so much.

My father got A55 STL-MCO, and A24 MCO-STL when he flew.

He is not Biz Select, nor an A Lister, nor did he even pay for the early Boarding fee.

Granted, MCO is not a market where you are going to see a lot of Biz Select or A Listers, unless it is MCO-FLL/RSW, and maybe couple other short haul routes.

Just wanted to throw that out there, btw both were checked in at the 24 hr mark.

Quote Originally Posted by lijk604
    Biz-select & Full fare passengers.
    Full Fare passengers are Y Fares and they do NOT get any special check in, do you mean A Listers? (which aren't full fare paying passengers, just simply those who flew 32 WN one way segments (including stopovers and connections) in one year.

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by Alex T
    Full Fare passengers are Y Fares and they do NOT get any special check in, do you mean A Listers? (which aren't full fare paying passengers, just simply those who flew 32 WN one way segments (including stopovers and connections) in one year. Alex
    Alex, feel free to make me happier, but the gent on the phone at SWA said a FULL Fare would have a better number than I. If not, heck, that's even better. As most full fares are bought in the last 24 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex T
    Full Fare passengers are Y Fares and they do NOT get any special check in, do you mean A Listers? (which aren't full fare paying passengers, just simply those who flew 32 WN one way segments (including stopovers and connections) in one year. Alex
    Alex, feel free to make me happier, but the gent on the phone at SWA said a FULL Fare would have a better number than I. If not, heck, that's even better. As most full fares are bought in the last 24 hours.
    Hmmh, he has a different wording versus us... for CSA Agents, Full Fare is Y, Business Select is the K Fare, and Business Select (K Fares) are SUPPOSED to be the ONLY Fare that has priority check in. Anything else is up for grabs in terms of check in, unless you are an A Lister or paid for the Early Boarding fee.

When you go to www.southwest.com and click on the "anytime" "Business Select" or "Wanna get away" it highlights the features of the fare, and only Business Select offers Priority boarding. Unless your agent is calling Business Select the Full Fare, which is incorrect or rather poor wording.

I would state that agent is wrong, as it shows you directly on www.southwest.com the fare rules and whatnot.

Alex

Just got back from Florida, on both legs i got A16 and didn't worry about checking in 24 hours prior, certainly worth the 20 bucks IMO.

Just got my boarding assignment for tomorrow's flight. I wasn't as lucky as Tommy, I got A18. :borat: :borat: :borat: $10 was never spent so well!

Just got my boarding assignment for tomorrow's flight. I wasn't as lucky as Tommy, I got A18. :borat: :borat: :borat: $10 was never spent so well!
    Listen I'll be flying across country tomorrow as well...just try to stay out of my way ;) lol