Thread: Radio Shack Catalogs

Radio Shack Catalogs

When I was "younger', it was always depressing knowing the summer coming to an end in late August or early September.
    The bright spot of the season however, was knowing that it was also time for the new Radio Shack catalog to be released. I would go to the local store every day waiting for them to appear on the counter. When they finally did, I would take it home and spend hours going through it page by page looking for something new and exciting.

If any of you were like me, check out this website, it is truly like opening a time capsule:

http://www.radioshackcatalogs.com/catal ... ctory.html

Some of you younger guys might want to check out these "Highlights":

Cordless Phones on page 2 of the 1980 catalog
    Hand-held calculators on pg. 66 of the 1974 catalog (This is where I picked out the 8-track player for my "hand me down" 1972 Ford Pinto).
    And, to get a real feeling for how far we've advanced, don't forget to look for the computers which first started appearing in the 1980 catalog. The best deal has to be on the back page, only $8900.00 for the computer, printer and desk (the chair is not included).

As I went throught the pages of these catalogs on the website, I could almost smell the greasy smell of the print, and feel the pages in my fingers just like the "good old days".

Re: Radio Shack Catalogs

haha, I do remember that.

More so, I remember the "Wish Book", I think put out by Sears.....pages and pages of toys. I would circle what I wanted and hand it off to Mom.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

wish book was ToysR'us

Quote Originally Posted by mmedford
    wish book was ToysR'us
    They might have had one too but Sears Wishbook was the granddaddy of them all.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

I have a Radio Shack catlog from 85 and when you look at the prices for computers it makes you laugh. Then when you read the specs for the PCs...you laugh even harder. Its amazing how far technology has come in just 20 years.