Thread: Just Announced, the Canon EOS-7D

Just Announced, the Canon EOS-7D

Just Announced, the replacement for the Canon 50D!

THE CANON EOS-7D
    http://www.usa.canon.com/templatedat...901_eos7d.html

CANON U.S.A. REDEFINES MID-RANGE DSLR CATEGORY WITH THE NEW EOS 7D DIGITAL SLR CAMERA

The EOS 7D Features Fast Eight fps Continuous Shooting, Class-Leading 18-Megapixel Resolution and Full HD Video Recording with Variable Frame Rates and Manual Exposure Control

Lake Success, N.Y., September 1, 2009 – Canon U.S.A., Inc., a leader in digital imaging, today introduced a revolutionary camera that redefines the highly competitive mid-range DSLR product category: the Canon EOS 7D Digital SLR camera. Professional photographers and advanced amateurs have been demanding higher performance and more diverse functions in their cameras, and Canon has answered – with the new EOS 7D. Far more than a slight improvement from a previous model, the EOS 7D DSLR is a brand new product that stands on its own with new features never before seen in any Canon camera. Whether it's shooting at eight frames per second (fps), focusing with the new Zone AF mode or recording 24p Full HD video, the EOS 7D DSLR camera satisfies the most rigorous professional requirements with durability, flexibility, high-resolution images and customizable controls. With its unprecedented out-of-the-box performance and high-end feature set, the EOS 7D is poised as the ultimate step-up camera for serious photographers or a second camera for professionals in the field.

The EOS 7D boasts significant EOS advancements including a completely new 19-point Autofocus system, a new Canon iFCL Metering System (Intelligent Focus, Color, Luminance) and a new Intelligent Viewfinder. An 18-megapixel Canon CMOS sensor and Dual DIGIC 4 Imaging Processors fuel the EOS 7D's 14-bit A/D data conversion and its ability to freeze fast motion in high-resolution with eight fps continuous shooting up to 126 Large JPEGS using a UDMA CF card, positioning this camera for the studio as well as the sideline. The EOS 7D captures beautiful low-light images with or without a flash, at occasions such as a dance recital or wedding reception, thanks to a wide range of ISO speed settings from 100-6400 (expandable to 12,800). In addition to its new still capture capabilities, the EOS 7D features Full HD video capture at 1920 x 1080 resolution with selectable frame rates of 24p, 25p or 30p. Native 24p recording helps videographers achieve a more cinema-style look for their footage without the need for post-processing.

Hands on preview:
    http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canoneos7d/

Allot to be happy about here, not just the pixel increase.
    The new 19 point AF sensor is very welcome.
    The new Canon iFCL Metering System (Intelligent Focus, Color, Luminance) and a new Intelligent Viewfinder has got me extremely interested to see the results over the current 40D/50D cameras.

$1699 List Price

Cheers,
    Barry

Re: Just Announced, the Canon 7D

I'm getting one to back up my 1D (and mostly for wildlife and aviation photography to take advantage of the 1.6x crop) :D It's already up for preorder on Amazon:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002NE ... B002NEGTTW
    General Photography - Website | Instagram
    PlaneCaptures - Website | Instagram

Maybe now I can finally pick up a 30D for cheap. :?

WANT!

Seems this is a new product level, sitting between the 50D and the 5D.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Saw this on another forum.

You can get $255 CB when you purchase this camera through Microsoft Bing and Circuit City.

Sounds like a good deal to me

http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?t=1535225
    It's hard to take chances but sometimes it's better if you do

http://www.southpawcaptures.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/southpawcaptures/
    On Twitter @southpawcapture

Re: Just Announced, the Canon EOS-7D

Here's some more info on it - http://www.dpreview.com/news/0909/09...canoneos7d.asp

It looks good but some of the AF features it has my 11 year old EOS 3 already has as standard.

19 AF points is a step in the right direction (45 AF points as on the EOS 3 and EOS1D II and 1D III would be better), 8 FPS is as good as the EOS 3 + motorwinder.

63 metering zones is better than the EOS 3.

6 years ago having HD video on an SLR would have been brilliant at videoing Concorde on take off or landing, but 6 years ago HD TV never existed in the UK.

Only down size of 7D is it has an APS-C Cmos sensor which means i couldn't use my EOS 3 lenses with it as the EOS 3 lenses need a full frame sensor = 35mm film.

If i tried to use EOS 3 lenses they would fit and work but it would be like having a builtin x 1.6 teleconverter, so a 19mm lens on an EOS 3 would not be 19mm on 7D, it would be a 30.4mm (19mm x 1.6 APS-CMOS).

I ain't spending an arm and a leg buying new lenses when the ones I have a perfect for my use, so until they stop making film the EOS 3 rules :D

And if they do stop making film I'll have to save up and get the EOS 1DS III body.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetinder
    If i tried to use EOS 3 lenses they would fit and work but it would be like having a builtin x 1.6 teleconverter, so a 19mm lens on an EOS 3 would not be 19mm on 7D, it would be a 30.4mm (19mm x 1.6 APS-CMOS).
    That's a good thing to many who shoot planes.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Quote Originally Posted by GothamSpotter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetinder
    That's a good thing to many who shoot planes.
    I agree it is good when you shoot planes with a zoom lens from long distances as you don't need a x 1.6 teleconverter which cuts 1 to 1.6 F stops, you can use the higher shutter speeds or F stops and in theory also add a x 1.6 or x 2 teleconverter to the DSLR so for long range photography that would be great.

But if you're using 35mm film lenses on the 7D, the 7D is no good if you're standing close to a parked up plane and trying to fit it all in as that lens would not be a wide angle it would be close being some thing higher.

Its also no good if you want to do other types of photography where you need to make sure a 35mm is 35mm and not 35mm x 1.6 APS-CMOS= 56mm.

I'd need a DSLR which would allow me to do what ever i wanted with my existing lenses, if the 7D had full frame sensor i would buy it as 2nd camera + still use the EOS 3.

The 7D is bound to be cheaper than the 1DS III but with 90% of the 1Ds IIIs features so it sounds like a good deal, pity Canon chose the 1.6 APS-CMOS rather than the full frame version.

The 5D has a full frame sensor but hasn't got as many AF points as the 7D or 1Ds III or EOS 3.

Less AF points = less things the camera can instantly lock on to and auto focus.

When Canon started to make DSLRs to me they where stupid as they chose 1.6 APS-CMOS sensors rather than using full frame sensors.

If full frame sensors where used on all their DSLRs then it would have been a simple case of just buying a camera body but using existing 35mm film lenses. Lens makers would not have then need to make special lenses for DSLRs and it would have been easy for people like me convert to digital SLRs with out having to start from sqaure one.

But thats life.

The Nikon D3 http://www.dpreview.com/news/0708/07082312nikond3.asp has 51 AF points, that would be the EOS 3's replacement but then i'd have to spend huge sums buying the lenses with same zoom ranges I already have on the EOS 3 this to me is a waste of money as I don't need them.

I'd rather buy an EOS 1Ds III + use my current EOS 3 lenses on the 1Ds. This i guess would cost me less than a Nikon D3 or Canon 7D + lenses.

All Canon lenses that work on a full frame sensor body will work on an APS-C body. Lenses designed specifically for crop-body cameras (often referred to as "digital only") will not, as the mirror on the full frame body may strike the inner part of the lens. Yes, you will get a narrower field of view on a crop-body camera, but the old lenses should still work.

Quote Originally Posted by moose135
    All Canon lenses that work on a full frame sensor body will work on an APS-C body. Yes, you will get a narrower field of view on a crop-body camera, but the old lenses should still work.
    The actual mechanical locking thingy which locks the lens to the body is the same with all EOS cameras but its crop factor with APS-C which I don't want.

I got my 7D last night. I probably won't take any shots until Sunday, but so far, I've noticed the build quality is great, and the LCD is very sharp. It's also nice having intelligent battery reporting.

Used it at the Blink-182/Fall Out Boy show at Madison Square Garden yesterday.

I'm amazed by how clear the LCD is, compared to my 40D and even the 1DM3. We'll see how well it works for aviation photography as soon as I get out to an airport.