Thread: Cell Phone PLAN advice.

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!

Cell Phone PLAN advice.

So we are Tmobile customers who have been off contract for a while and will soon
    need new phones.

Tmobile doesnt recognize customer loyalty so its cheaper better for us to look at Verizon and ATT.

Mostly doing phone and texting occasionally. I really dont have a need for a Blackberry or iPhone while people rave about them . (People tell me, "Doc, you need to get one!" Why? I have over a dozen computers in the office and a pair at home. The only time I am not connected is during my 10 mile ride home and Apps are the last thing I need to look at while driving!! Just ask MidnightMike and Nikv69 :mrgreen: )

I would like something that takes better pics than the 1.3 PM camera on our Nokia. Other than that and speakerphone, no real NEEDS.

So, any tips or advice or recommendations on new family plans? And perhaps on the phone itself?
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

Re: Cell Phone PLAN advice.

Who is your TV, Home Phone & Internet provider?

I've used Verizon for over 10 years, started with them when they were Bell Atlantic Mobile. Most issues that I've had with them were handled very well and to my satisfaction minus one. As far as plans go to the store and speak to a professional sales rep.

TV, Home Phone & Internet provider = Cablevision
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

hmm if cablevision...

then it's a toss up...

If you were a Verizon customer for all 3; then i would have suggested going with verizon...much better discount rate; especially if you contact Verizon Encore.

Go with whoever gives you the best rate & phone selection...

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s

while you say you don't need a blackberry, it is a nice thing to have. most of my family/ friends/ important coworkers are blackberry owners and being able to use the BlackBerry Messenger is perfect. i send about 1/3 of the amount of SMS texts that i did before i got a BB. BBM allows you to chat for free blackberry-blackberry. you do need the internet service though. find out how many of the people that you text use a BB to see if getting one will cut down on the amount of texts you send as well.

also, having my email on me at all times is great. i don't email as much as some, but since one of my employers is usually in the office it's easier for him to email me instead of calling. most of the scheduling we do is via email. again, i'm not using texts here. also a lot of the unwanted junk mail that makes it though my filters gets deleted right away and doesn't clutter my inbox.

i have google maps on the phone, which helps a lot when driving in unfamiliar territory. i used it exclusively to navigate when driving around SFO a few weeks ago. the only other "apps" i have on there are Pandora Radio, The Weather Channel, The New York Times and Facebook. the Times is free and saves me the cost of home-delivery. it's also easier to manage than a full paper and i don't have as much paper recycling anymore.

the camera is 3.2mp, if you want i can send you some full-size pix so you can see the quality. it's pretty impressive for a cell phone.

my only dislike is that i am on t-mobile now and it's not 3G. the amount of time i spend online on my BB has increased since i first got it and i could use 3G right now. i'm considering switching to verizon once my contract is up.
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

I have the BB for work (Verizon) and iPhone for personal use (ATT). I wouldn't discount them so fast. There are many medical Apps that could be useful. Other than that it would be the best deal you can get.
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

I heard T mobile actually has customer loyalty plans. We have used Tmobile and are happy with them, and we pay a reduced price due to customer loyalty...im pretty sure. I like them because their phones have sim cards, and verizon and at& t dont. (except for the i phone)
    look into the G1, i heard its good phone. I have the Nokia 5310 and like it. it suffered a lot of damage, and still works. i like it because i can listen to music on it with normal headphones, so i dont need to carry an i pod with me, and always have music.

Quote Originally Posted by G-BOAD
    I like them because their phones have sim cards, and verizon and at& t dont. (except for the i phone)
    My new, cheap, little, just-makes-calls, AT&T phone uses a sim card, the same one that was in my old, cheap, little, just-makes-calls, AT&T phone.

Mario, don't ask Fred about his iPhone, unless you have a couple of free hours :shock:

Mario, EMS brings up a very good point, both the Blackberry and iPhone have a ton of medical apps that might be useful to you. I know my company now has iPhone apps for our DENTRIX patient management software that doctor's use in the Dental office.

One word:
    VERIZON.
    Never ever a problem & I always get a signal where others don't :borat:
    Train as if your life depends on it. Because some day it may.
    Opinions expressed are my own & not those of my employer.

Senior Member Fighting_falcon_51's Avatar

Yeah I think Verizon is the best, I just wish they had the iPhone.
    http://www.kjpgallery.com << Photography Collection
    http://www.nyasinfo.com << Jones Beach Airshow Information (Updates continue in November)

Mario,

I left AT&T 2 years ago after 19 years as a customer (Cellular One) for Verizon, and have never been happier. The plans are competitive, and you get "friends and family" options with Verizon, plus CDMA sound quality is considerably better than GSM, so Verizon wins there.

The only drawback to Verizon is that MOST phones will not work outside the US. They have only 3 or 4 world capable phones, including the Storm and Tour from Blackberry.

And not for nothing, once you go Blackberry, you're hooked........

So my vote is for Verizon.
    It's the fares, stupid

Thanks for the tips, both on here and on the phone

I was at a friends house and playing with her iPhone. No matter how nice the apps/utilities, I just can't see how it fits my needs.

Looking at Verizon and Blackberry Storm. (they seem to be running a good deal right now too.)

Looks like I'm a bit late!

I have Sprint and pay about $115 for an everything plan, including taxes. Everything means everything: unlimited calls, texts, internet usage, GPS, TV, etc. I've been with Sprint for about seven years and am happy with them, even though I know a lot of people aren't and they shed customers like crazy. Never really had any issues with them. My biggest gripe with Sprint was that they didn't have the best selection of smart phones, though it is improving with the Palm Pre, Palm Pixie, HTC Hero, HTC Touch Pro2 and Blackberry Tour which have come out or are coming out shortly.

As for the other carriers, I know everyone raves about Verizon, but they're really expensive compared to everyone else, especially for my needs (an everything plan). AT&T has a reputation for poor reception and, in my opinion, the only thing that keeps them afloat is the iPhone because they really suck otherwise. I don't know much about Tmobile, but the fact that you're leaving them speaks for itself. AT&T and Tmobile are the only GSM carriers in the US, which means if you have a phone with them and travel abroad, you can use it. But I agree with what someone said above that CDMA is better. Unfortunately, CDMA never caught on and even Verizon might be porting over to GSM in the near future.

Also, Mario, you might want to consider Boost Mobile (owned by Sprint) and Metro PCS. They offer very, very affordable everything plans for which you don't have to sign a contract. But their selection of phones aren't so great and you have to pay for them up front as you don't get the discounts.

As for phones, I would NOT recommend the Blackberry Storm. There's a reason Verizon continuously discounts it every month or so. It didn't even come out a year ago and already it's down to $49. That speaks for itself. It's very buggy and probably the worst Research in Motion phone. If you want to get a Blackberry, go for the Tour, which has an additional GSM radio and can be used abroad. For me, it was a choice between the Tour and the Palm Pre. I ended up getting the Pre (which will also come out on Verizon next year) and I don't regret it. It's a great phone (save the battery life) and very easy to use.

I'm a smart phone junkie, so if you have any questions, feel free to ask.