Thread: Runway Selection at JFK

Runway Selection at JFK

It always baffled me why JFK Airport in particular, often selects to use runways not aligned into the wind. For instance, this morning, with a wind of 020 degrees at 8, they are using the Rwy 22 combination. I know that runway selection can be flexible but wouldn't using the 4's be wiser? There must be a reason that I am unaware of. This has happened numerous times in the past. Maybe there are taxiway closures on the 4's?

Re: Runway Selection at JFK

Some of it could be due to airfield work, but I think a bigger part is noise abatement - it looks like they try to spread the pain, and will shift between runways to keep any one area from getting pounded all day long. Many times when we're out at Firestone all afternoon shooting 31 arrivals, they will switch to the 22s around 5pm, even without a significant wind shift.

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s

keep in mind that the FAA controller working not only take into account the winds at the field at the time, but also forecast winds, traffic requirements at the field as well as what EWR and LGA are using for actives and the demands of NY Center. they're very good at thier jobs, we're but mere on-lookers...
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Quote Originally Posted by cancidas
    keep in mind that the FAA controller working not only take into account the winds at the field at the time, but also forecast winds, traffic requirements at the field as well as what EWR and LGA are using for actives and the demands of NY Center. they're very good at thier jobs, we're but mere on-lookers...
    he is indeed right, the pit bosses at N90 are damn good at what they do for transitioning aircraft in & out of the airspace...

plus they also make all the crucial decisions; eg..running ILS 13L @ JFK...

...as well as what EWR and LGA are using for actives...
    I was under the impression that EWR and LGA have to switch to fulfill JFK's needs, not the other way around. :?:
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Quote Originally Posted by GothamSpotter
    ...as well as what EWR and LGA are using for actives...
    I was under the impression that EWR and LGA have to switch to fulfill JFK's needs, not the other way around. :?:
    Not entirely true...

All 3 airports work together...

But again there are cases when JFK trumps others... as previously mentioned; ILS 13L CAT-2...

EWR doesnt change configuration regardless of what the other two are on. TEB follows EWR though

Quote Originally Posted by njgtr82
    EWR doesnt change configuration regardless of what the other two are on. TEB follows EWR though
    I do know our CAT-2 13L shuts down LGA & possible TEB...

But once CAT-2 is reached...LGA is pretty much shut down anyway... they don't have a true CAT-2 environment...