Thread: Delta#28 (ATL-CDG) Diverted to JFK - Why?

Delta#28 (ATL-CDG) Diverted to JFK - Why?

20 August 2009..
    DAL#28 diverts to JFK on it's original ATL-CDG route.
    Aircraft is a 763 and is still at JFK.

Looking at FlightAware (http://flightaware.com/live/flight/DAL2 ... /KATL/KJFK), the flight circled for some time over Pennsylvania and then headed for JFK. Even this flight's departure out of ATL is strange & looking at the flight log, the aircraft descended from FL330 to 10.000ft, climbed to FL250, and then descended once again into JFK around 22H00.

Any reason for the diversion?
    Christos

Re: Delta#28 (ATL-CDG) Diverted to JFK - Why?

Strange, looks like it circled for awhile over Georgia after taking off from ATL, headed north, then circled over PA before heading to JFK. Took 4 1/2 hours to get from ATL to JFK. Guessing it was a mechanical problem they thought they could fix in the air. Looks like it's been canceled at JFK. Maybe they were able to accommodate some of the pax on the 1120pm Air France codeshare flight.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

It was probably a mechanical issue that they were checking the books on to see if they could cross the pond with, or fix up there at Matt said. The second hold over PA might have been for JFK ATC.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

I just dropped my aunt off at T3 for her flight, and I saw the 763 still parked at Gate 14. With the setup/design of T3, I wasn't able to get the tail number, but the aircraft was in the new livery and I believe with winglets..
    Christos

Ho'wd you know that was the same aircraft sitting there if you don't know the tail?
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Since the aircraft arrived last night, I checked arriving flights on FlightStats into JFK T3, and none were assigned to Gate 14. A 763 was sitting at this gate when I passed, so I'm assuming it's the same aircraft.. I could be wrong.
    Christos

Mechanical issue. That's all I can really say. ;-)

Possibly talking with dispatch and maintenance on the VHF or satcom ( if it's equipped ) the early decent into JFK could have been to burn off enough fuel so as to not land overweight , remember ATL-CDG is probably close to 8hrs block to block or so. It would have been carrying around 100,000lbs of fuel. It would have taken some time to burn or even dump enough to be at max landing weight.