Thread: Salinas 2009

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s

Salinas 2009

some of you may know i've run away to california this past week. i went to work at the 2009 California International Airshow at Salinas. this year was a much smaller show than what i had gotten used to, only the USN Blue Angels and USAF A-10s were the military's contributions to flight demos. Civilian acts featured Ed Hamill, Micheal Goulian, Gene Soucy, Robosaurus and a few others.

sadly, the autofocus on my camera completely crapped out. i really wanted to shoot the statics in the morning as i had unobstructed access to the crews and airplanes, but no such luck this time around. i did get to hang out with the ground support teams for Goulian and Hamill, as well as the Blue Angel pilots and ground staff. i even got to be on a first name basis with the Blue's crew chief. this shot is the only one i was able to get without a working AF. it's at the end of the Blue's performance sunday during thier break for landing. the jets were only about 500ft above me....

the statics were very dismal this year comparred to years past. Steve Hinton brought a P-51 up from Chino, and this wonderful T-33A showed up out of nowhere.

there was a 1943 Howard DGA-15P, powered by a Pratt & Whitney R-985. i spent some time talking to the owner/pilot and found out he traded a twin aerostar for this airplane about 4 years ago. he picked it up in this condition. immaculate just isn't the right word...

all in all it was a wonderful airshow. the A-10 demo was outstanding. it was only made better by the pyro involved. the folks working the show were happy to see me as always, and the CALSTAR team were great hosts. that's all for me, gonna fly home soon and take my damn camera in for repair.
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Re: Salinas 2009

That sure is one pretty airplane, Matt! And that T-33 is interesting, with the SAC shield on the tail.

Program Coordinator

Re: Salinas 2009

The same T-33 was up in Seattle for Seafair - and quite a beauty it is!

Nice shots