Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bomb Scare LGA This Morning

Re: Bomb Scare LGA This Morning

The terminal opened around 0900 but of course it will be a mess for the rest of the day and tomorrow. Can't talk about the specifics yet but the reactions of TSA, PAPD and NYPD appeared to be legit.
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

I actually had the chance to speak to a couple people closely involved with what happened today, and it sounds like this guy was a nutjob that had all the making of an actual bomb, except for actual explosives; wires, detonator, etc., and that the bomb squad wasn't even sure if it really was a bomb or not for a bit.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D.
    I actually had the chance to speak to a couple people closely involved with what happened today, and it sounds like this guy was a nutjob that had all the making of an actual bomb, except for actual explosives; wires, detonator, etc., and that the bomb squad wasn't even sure if it really was a bomb or not for a bit.
    Yea, he had a duffel bag with a box strapped under it with toggle switches. Certainly looked like the real thing. When he reached back to flip one of the switches he was lucky the PA Cop didn't shoot him. It appears from the info I got everyone did the right thing.

Glad I slept through it. :borat:
    Ronald Reagan

Actually, why DIDN'T the cop shoot him?

A word to the wise...keep it under your hat...no one is to know...

Because if it turned out the bomb was no good, someone would have posted their cell phone camera video on youtube and Sharpton would be marching up and down 4/22 demanding justice against the racist pig cop.
    R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    #DeleteThePickleSmoocher
    LETS GO CAPS!
    [URL]http://www.sopicturethis.net[/URL]

I agree that such a thing would have happened afterwards, but that should not influence a police officer's decision to potentially save hundreds int he immediate vicinity of a man about to hit a switch. That makes me feel slightly less safe. It's a shame society responds in that manner though.

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D.
    I agree that such a thing would have happened afterwards, but that should not influence a police officer's decision to potentially save hundreds int he immediate vicinity of a man about to hit a switch. That makes me feel slightly less safe. It's a shame society responds in that manner though.
    sadly, that's the world we live in now. when the president himself speaks on the actions of a single officer it's definately going to weigh in on the minds of an officer, especially so when it involves thousands of people and a possible bomb.
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Interesting how in one post this turns into a topic on race when it has nothing to do with race. Scanning through a number of articles online race hasn't been brought up once, but here it does. Why assume the officer would have been better off shooting the suspect when it seems by the events he was within close quarters and within reach to subdue the suspect? Sharpton might be a prick but there are times he's right about racism within the Police.

Let's not ctonie down the race debate. I see both sides. Either way, I'm gla everything turned out well. The bad guy went to jail and the good people got to go about their day. :)

What I fail to understand for the life of me is WHY PAPD made the decision to evacuate AFTER the perp. was in custody? IMO wrong decision. All it would take is a diversion like this at 3 or 4 airports, then some one light the bombs off will all those people out there then 9/11 would look like nothing. They've got to start making wiser decisions.

Never thought I'd be so happy to be in Atl yesterday :lol: see my trip report.
    Train as if your life depends on it. Because some day it may.
    Opinions expressed are my own & not those of my employer.

EDIT: Please respect our rules that pertain to far off topic thread hijacking, which loosely should not exceed two posts. Importantly, please also respect requests to stop further posts. This kind of "double" violation is what results in a short ban.

Now back to talking about the great job that PAPD did. :mrgreen:

Quote Originally Posted by coachrowsey
    What I fail to understand for the life of me is WHY PAPD made the decision to evacuate AFTER the perp. was in custody? IMO wrong decision. All it would take is a diversion like this at 3 or 4 airports, then some one light the bombs off will all those people out there then 9/11 would look like nothing. They've got to start making wiser decisions.

Never thought I'd be so happy to be in Atl yesterday :lol: see my trip report.
    I understood that the incident itself from "bomb emergence to custody was over in a matter of seconds, so it wouldn't have been possible to evacuate before he was in custody.

LAw enforcement folks please correct me if I'm wrong, but even with him being in custody, his device was still there and it took time to determine that it was safe.

And Phil, that's all the more reason to NOT evacuate.
    Train as if your life depends on it. Because some day it may.
    Opinions expressed are my own & not those of my employer.