Thread: NW 727 wreck in Harriman State Park

NW 727 wreck in Harriman State Park

IN a recent issue of Aviation Letter, someone asked if the remains of the NW 727 that crashed in Harriman State Park still there?

This was the first I had heard of any accident in Harriman, but I did a search and found something about it a few weeks ago, but can't find it again now!

Does anyone know the answer to this question?

Re: NW 727 wreck in Harriman State Park

Reportedly, there are still some remains of the aircraft there. Fred and I checked into it a while back, it seems to be in a fairly remote area.

You don't have to go far to get a synopsis of the crash: http://nycaviation.com/spotting-guides/ ... formation/
    December 1, 1974 - Northwest Orient Flight 6231 a Boeing 727 chartered to pick up the Baltimore Colts in Buffalo crashed near Thiells, New York. The flight departed John F. Kennedy International Airport with only the cockpit crew onboard. The pitot heat was not turned on and the tube iced over during climb out making the airspeed readings unreliable. The plane stalled passing 23,000? and the crew was unable to regain control. All 3 crewmembers onboard were killed.

Re: NW 727 wreck in Harriman State Park

Thanks Moose!

Mark

The Northwest Airlines crash is still in Harriman State Park NY; it's not far from the Long Path, and it's defined by a stand of red pines. You can get the coordinates for the crash site here (and download the accident report PDF): http://www.myharriman.com/a-plane-crash-in-harriman/

It's actually not so remote, though you wouldn't know it was there. There is an old disused road that runs not far from the site. The plane crashed near a swampy area, but that was forty years ago; swamps fill in over that time, and I think that's what's happened here. You can hike to the site, but you need the coordinates, because it's not directly on the path and you have to bushwhack.
    Last edited by West_Ave_hiker; 2013-07-10 at 11:08 AM.

Are you serious? I am SOO into crash hikes, and there's been a 727 at Harriman!? That's my most hiked local park!!
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

I bike up there all the time...I'll have to make an event of this...
    Have you ever seen a grown man naked?

Based on the provided link it seems similar to the Eastern Flt 66 site- nothing to be seen with the naked eye except for pine trees, but do a little digging and you might find something

I'm really sorry. The coordinates for this crash (given in the accident report) are WRONG and will land you in a swamp! The real coordinates are in this article. The wreck is between the Long Path and the Old Turnpike, in a ferny valley. There is a lot of debris still up there. Sorry for the confusion.