Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Let's Talk Beer

Re: Let's Talk Beer

Like the economy, beer is something I don't really understand enough to discuss intelligently. I've found myself steering clear of bar mainstays like Coors, Bud, Miller, Corona, and Heineken. Life's too short to not spend money you don't have on imports (or something not typically served in buckets).

First 6-pack I ever purchased myself was of Molson. I don't find it to be very pungent, which makes it enjoyable to just 'have'. LaBatt Blue is a good choice too. Both must be chilled.

Yuengling I've liked for a while ever since someone on this forum offered it to me when my taste buds were still in their formative years.

Had my first pint of Guinness at the Guinness Storehouse (St. James' Gate in Dublin) earlier this summer. Definitely a meal in a glass and full on hops. Each consecutive pint does, however, taste exponentially better when chugged in rapid succession. Just sayin'.

A GREAT alternative to Guinness is brewed at the same place (and by the same people). It's Smithwicks. One of my all time favorites.

Kronenbourg 1664, Dos Equis, Sam Adams Summer Ale are also high up on my list.

Isn't there a place in Astoria with a few dozen varieties on tap? We should get together there sometime. Or anywhere! Gaahahhh1095BEER708u!!ty9wu0q9iroALCOHOLoooohhgkjn sl haha

Brian
    "My wife is an air traffic controller. I married her because I've always wanted to screw the FAA." - B. Wulle

There is a place on 35th and 35th in Astoria called Sunswick, which I used to frequent a bit. They have 26 unique beers on tap...always something you've never had for you to try. I'm not a huge fan of it Friday and Satruday nights, but any other afternoon or evening, it's a good place to sit down and relax with a friend.

Last night I tried the Sam Adams Imperial White....which is a thick 10.3% yummy! haha. IT was pretty good, but you've got to drink it very cold, and try to down it before it gets warm at all. Not a bad one.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

=> beer is something I don't really understand enough to discuss intelligently. <

After 3 or 4 no one really can.
    :lol: :lol: :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard
    => beer is something I don't really understand enough to discuss intelligently. <

3 or 4? You're a light weight! LOLOL

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bird76
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerard

3 or 4? You're a light weight! LOLOL
    Well I didnt want to show off to the group.
    :)

Phil, one of the things I miss about NYC is this joint on 34th or 35th in Midtown called the Ginger Man. Those guys have some of the coolest selection of Belgian Trappist Ales that I've seen in NY. Check out Piraat. It's a bit hefty at around 11% but tastes awesome.. Other than that:

When @ home:
    1. Alaskan Amber Ale (AK)
    2. Rogue Dead Guy Ale (OR)
    3. Windmer Bros Hefeweisen (WA)... Sorry bro, this one goes with a lemon
    4. Mac & Jack's (WA)
    5. Black Butte Porter (MT)
    6. Fat Tire (CO)

When on the road:
    1. Sam Adams
    2. Blue Moon
    3. Grolsch

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s

it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Cancidas, what are those beers, I think Russian, which the numbers on them? I think they had like a silver foil label or something.

[quote="AnBok"]Phil, one of the things I miss about NYC is this joint on 34th or 35th in Midtown called the Ginger Man. Those guys have some of the coolest selection of Belgian Trappist Ales that I've seen in NY.

Love my beers but I really have no taste for those Belgium Ales. Hey what do I know. Its all the High Life for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D.
    Cancidas, what are those beers, I think Russian, which the numbers on them? I think they had like a silver foil label or something.

BALTIKA baby!!

What do the numbers mean?
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

It's a reference to alcohol percentage I believe.

Last time I had them, which was a few years ago, the top was wrapped in a thin foil over the cap. They were some tasty beers.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D.
    It's a reference to alcohol percentage I believe.

Last time I had them, which was a few years ago, the top was wrapped in a thin foil over the cap. They were some tasty beers.
    Didnt Lowenbrau have tin foil over the caps?

You guys may be interested in this:
    http://www.northforkcraftbeerfestival.com/
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by AnBok
    Phil, one of the things I miss about NYC is this joint on 34th or 35th in Midtown called the Ginger Man. Those guys have some of the coolest selection of Belgian Trappist Ales that I've seen in NY. Check out Piraat. It's a bit hefty at around 11% but tastes awesome.. Other than that:

When @ home:
    1. Alaskan Amber Ale (AK)
    2. Rogue Dead Guy Ale (OR)
    3. Windmer Bros Hefeweisen (WA)... Sorry bro, this one goes with a lemon
    4. Mac & Jack's (WA)
    5. Black Butte Porter (MT)
    6. Fat Tire (CO)

When on the road:
    1. Sam Adams
    2. Blue Moon
    3. Grolsch
    Andruha!!!!! sosi ebanataya suka!

There's a great little Belgian style brewery in Cooperstown named Ommegang. They make about a dozen or so beers. My personal favorite is the Three Philosophers ale that they age deep min Howe Caverns for 9 months. The tours of the brewery include free beer and Belgian food.
    You're Never Too Young To Be A Dirty Old Man