Thread: American 767-300ER Falls On Nose, May Be Written Off

American 767-300ER Falls On Nose, May Be Written Off

American Airlines jet falls on nose during maintenance

12:31 PM CDT on Friday, July 24, 2009

By TERRY MAXON / The Dallas Morning News
    [email protected]

American Airlines Inc. is assessing the damage to one of its bigger jets after the aircraft fell on its nose during maintenance work July 15.

American spokesman Tim Wagner said the Boeing 767-300ER airplane was at American’s Alliance base in Fort Worth for a heavy maintenance check. [Full Story]
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Re: American 767-300ER Falls On Nose, May Be Written Off

All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

If they can fix that Air Maroc 767 that landed hard at JFK they can fix that.

Sounds like an air-ground disagree that made the plane think it was ok to retract the gear on the ground. Yikes!

Anyone have a reg? Newest 763ER.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

The six-year-old airplane is tail number N350AN, owned by American. It got its airworthiness certificate Aug. 28, 2003, and appears to be the last of the Boeing 767-300ERs taken by American.

rest here...http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/a...-ungracef.html

It seems the plane had just undergone heavy maintenance and the hydraulic pump failed during a test flight...

"So maintenance jumps on the aircraft to fix it after the flight. For whatever reason they need to raise the gear handle. They do. Pins aren't installed and the nose gear retracts.

"Actually if you look closely in the pictures apparently the main gear tried to retract also. That would have really hurt."

United put a 767-200 on its nose after maintenance at JFK inside hgr 4. Mechanic turned hydraulics on with gear handle in up position. Borrowed lifting airbags from PAN AM and repaired on sight. It was a lucky night as nobody was under aircraft and the roof was high enough that the tail didn't contact the roof. I don't recall the plane being out of service for an extended period. Think it was less than a month.

They did not pin the gear before moving the gear handle into the up position. Records indicate that this plane is one the newer side delivered just six years ago according to someone I know in AA MX at MIA. If this holds true I would venture to guess we will see her fly again.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

Quote Originally Posted by hiss srq
    They did not pin the gear before moving the gear handle into the up position. Records indicate that this plane is one the newer side delivered just six years ago according to someone I know in AA MX at MIA. If this holds true I would venture to guess we will see her fly again.
    Records indicate you are correct, according to someone I know who wrote it four posts ago. :)

it happened to one of our 747 classics a years ago in DXB, she was repaired and still flies to this day... although not with us anymore