Thread: need advice on an edit

need advice on an edit

I recently did a re-edit on this photo. I mainly only corrected the keystoning effect in the bridge towers since they appeared to be falling over due to the wide angle lens. Though I am much happier with this edit, I still feel like it is lacking....can anyone offer some advice? Thanks!

Have you ever seen a grown man naked?

Re: need advice on an edit

Looks great to me, not sure what else you can do with it.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

I think it lacks a little punch, here you can see the slight color shift gives the image a lot more punch

I do like the original, very nice :borat:
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

i like that a lot too, Fred. Though I think whatever color shift you used produced a couple artifacts. I like it. I feel like the more I look at it, the more I feel like the verticals on the bridge still aren't quite right....

The verticles on the bridge seem to be leaning outward a bit still. Try using the lens distortion filter in Photoshop to bring them in just a scoch. The only other thing that "I" see, is that because it was taken so late at night, the B&W actually hurst the image, as there is no depth to it. A little light color in the sky should help. But that's just my 2 cents.

The left tower does have a lean. The reflection from the lights under the left tower onto the water also draws my attention too much.
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

Fixed:

All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

amen to that......i wish i could have gotten that shot with the towers!

Me too. I only found that spot after I started working in that neighborhood, a few months after 9/11. Got some nice shots of the towers of light from there, though.

Quote Originally Posted by GothamSpotter
    Fixed:

If only it was that easy.
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

I adjusted the bridge towers so they look vertical (I may have gone a little too far on the left side...) and I darkened the distracting bright reflection under the left side of the bridge.

thanks moose, that looks a lot more like where it should be. What method did you use? My Scott Kelby books recommend free transforming the image. Originally, the towers leaned to the right...I guess I went a tad too far with it.

I used the Rectangular Marquee to select the entire image, then used Edit>Transform>Skew. That lets you select an individual corner and drag it left or right (or up and down) to adjust the photo - I adjusted both the top left and top right individually to correct each side. I had a set of grid lines turned on to help judge the verticals. I was left with a trapezoid shaped photo, which I cropped to a 3x2 format.

Quote Originally Posted by moose135
    I adjusted the bridge towers so they look vertical (I may have gone a little too far on the left side...) and I darkened the distracting bright reflection under the left side of the bridge.

Moose, looks awesome to me.
    Ronald Reagan

i concur....thanks a lot for the help....it's always great to have a few extra sets of eyes to have a look. I like your composition much better too, thanks moose!