Thread: Wounded Warrior Project - 2009

Wounded Warrior Project - 2009

Wednesday evening was the second annual Wounded Warrior Project reception at the American Airpower Museum. This fund-raising dinner is held in conjunction with the NY stop of their "Soldier Ride" bike ride. WWP assists members of the armed forces who have been severely injured in combat. The group will be riding in NYC on Thursday, and on Friday will again ride from Babylon Town Hall to Overlook Beach.

The special guest at tonight's event was actor Matthew Modine, best known for his roles in "The Memphis Belle" and "Full Metal Jacket", is a huge supporter of the WWP and other veteran causes.

Marine Lt. Andrew Kinard lost both legs in an explosion in Iraq, was at last year's event as well, and is now works for the WWP

Modine presented the Airpower Museum with the flight jacket he wore in "The Memphis Belle".

In its place, the museum presented him with a new jacket, bearing the logo of the WWP. That's artist and museum volunteer Len Partis (and a former Newsday colleague of mine) who painted the artwork on the new jacket.

One of the soldiers describes his service in Iraq.

AAM VP of Operations Jim Vocell shows Modine the cockpit of the museum's P-47.

Modine talks about piloting a B-17 during filming of "The Memphis Belle"

A little hangar flying.

With a group from the Marine Corps League.

Like last year, this was a moving event, and a fitting tribute to these brave men and women. Modine was genuinely interested in this cause - he stayed until the very end of the event, talking with the soldiers, their families, and the other attendees, and posed with everyone who wanted a picture taken. If you get a chance, stop down and cheer on the bike riders this Friday!

Re: Wounded Warrior Project - 2009

Great stuff and good coverage, Moose!!
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!

Re: Wounded Warrior Project - 2009

Very nice coverage.

Good to see Modine there but I expected Bill O'Reilly would have been there too since he promotes them and is local.
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187