Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Delta and US to Swap Terminals, Slots at LGA and DCA

Delta and US to Swap Terminals, Slots at LGA and DCA

Since we have personnel on this board who work in these areas ,I wanted to see what info you guys have. The heavy rumor today is that there will be a switch around of terminals.
    • US Airways Shuttle will go to the Marine Air Terminal
      Delta Shuttle will go to US Airways Shuttle
      Delta will take over the US Airways Terminal and move into there
      US Airways will move to the Delta Terminal only using four gates. Another Airline may go into Delta Terminal also.

For us there would need to be a lot of work to be done for checkpoints in the US Airways Terminal as they would not be able to handle the loads. Otherwise everywhere else would probably be an even trade.

Comments??...
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

Re: LGA Terminal Switch Rumor

I really dont see that happening
    Sergio has been a huge Delta Air Lines fan since 1992!!

Sergio Cardona

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos....e=1&display=15

I cannot see this happening honestly. Theres no provisions for Express which is the single handedly largest operation at LGA. If I am not mistaken US holds in the vicinity of 300 slots at LGA. There are too many gaps in this if you ask me. I just do not see it happening though I have heard this rumor prior to your mention from some of the folks at US LGA.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

I am not really at liberty to coment much and all I know are solid rumors but I can say their will likely be a large transaction announced soon and yes their will be BIG changes at LGA. In all likelyhood DL will grow substantily at LGA and US will shrink substantily at LGA and other players may or may not be involved. Sadly I do not expect to be in our Tower at this time next year but again I have no facts (yet) to prove it. Just a strong hunch and daily rumors.

I will be making no further replies to this thread for now so talkst amoungst yourselves about this if you like, this is all I am going to say for now.

Regards

LGA777

This is absolutely true. It was announced today, August 12, 2009.
    Agreement with US Airways will allow more customers to travel to and from New York's preferred domestic airport with increased efficiency

NEW YORK, Aug. 12 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Delta Air Lines DAL today announced it has reached a definitive agreement with US Airways LCC to exchange certain flying rights and airport facilities at New York's LaGuardia and Washington's Reagan National airports, allowing Delta to expand its New York customer service and convenience by creating a domestic hub at LaGuardia Airport.

(Logo: http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/prnh/20090202/DELTALOGO )

The agreement, which is subject to government approvals, calls for US Airways to transfer 125 operating slot pairs to Delta at LaGuardia and Delta to transfer 42 operating slot pairs to US Airways at Reagan National. The airlines also will swap gates at LaGuardia between the Marine Air Terminal and US Airways' Terminal C to consolidate all Delta operations -- including the Delta Shuttle -- into an expanded main terminal facility with 11 additional gates for Delta customers.

"Delta continues to take innovative steps to adapt our business to the changing competitive and economic environment we face," said Delta Chief Executive Officer Richard Anderson. "Increasing Delta's service in the world's most competitive and largest air service market is a key part of our long-term strategy. This transaction will provide substantial benefits to our customers, employees and shareholders in years to come."

The proposed agreement will increase competition and choice for New York customers by enabling Delta to build a hub operation at LaGuardia that will increase the number of customers served at each takeoff and landing slot without increasing congestion.

Delta expects to more than double the number of nonstop destinations it serves from LaGuardia by adding or preserving service to more than 30 small- and medium-sized communities. The airline plans to add new flights to more than a dozen cities not currently served by US Airways. In every slot where US Airways operates small turboprops today, Delta will operate larger jets. These new markets and larger aircraft would allow more than two million additional passengers to transit LaGuardia each year without increasing the total number of takeoffs and landings.

"Delta's investment at LaGuardia is good for customers because it provides new convenient service options and ensures continued access to many small communities that our competitors have not historically served," said Gail Grimmett, Delta's senior vice president - New York. "During the last 30 years, successful slot trades have helped foster a competitive environment for the airline industry. With this agreement, Delta will inject additional competition in the New York market. Many small- and medium-sized communities throughout upstate New York and New England will benefit from service upgrades where Delta will operate larger regional and mainline jets."

Once the transaction is approved, Delta plans to begin a nearly $40 million construction project at LaGuardia to connect the current Delta and US Airways main terminals; rebrand US Airways' existing main terminal gates, ticket counters and lounges to Delta's standards; and create a new dedicated check-in area for Medallion, First Class, BusinessElite and Shuttle customers. This facility transition will be completed in 2010.

In addition to the improvements at LaGuardia, Delta will continue to invest at its hub at New York's leading international airport, John F. Kennedy International (JFK), and will continue to explore long-term options to upgrade terminal facilities.

Since making a strategic decision to build New York into a hub earlier this decade, Delta has made major investments across the tri-state region, boosting its economic impact to more than $13 billion annually. Along with adding more than 30 new international routes at JFK, Delta has created more than 2,000 jobs across the state, invested heavily in New York sponsorships and advertising and completed more than $70 million in facility upgrades at JFK's Terminals 2 and 3.

As part of the transaction, Delta also will exchange a limited number of international route authorities to US Airways for service to Brazil and Japan. These transfers will not result in any material schedule changes for Delta customers.

Delta also will continue to serve Washington's Reagan Airport with numerous daily frequencies to its seven hubs, hourly shuttle service to LaGuardia and flights to select small communities.

Both Delta and US Airways will submit the transaction for review by the U.S. Department of Justice, together with applications for approval by the Federal Aviation Administration and the U.S. Department of Transportation.

Delta Air Lines is the world's No. 1 airline. From its hubs in Atlanta, Cincinnati, Detroit, Memphis, Minneapolis-St. Paul, New York-JFK, Salt Lake City, Paris-Charles de Gaulle, Amsterdam and Tokyo-Narita, Delta, its Northwest subsidiary and Delta Connection carriers offer service to 376 destinations in 67 countries and serve more than 170 million passengers each year. Delta's marketing alliances allow customers to earn and redeem either SkyMiles or WorldPerks on more than 16,000 daily flights offered by SkyTeam and other partners. Delta's more than 70,000 employees worldwide are reshaping the aviation industry as the only U.S. airline to offer a full global network. Customers can check in for flights, print boarding passes, check bags and flight status at delta.com.
    Guess we will have a huge change coming up at LGA very soon.
    In loving memory of Casey Edward Falconer
    May 16, 1992-May 9, 2012

I TOLD YOU!!!!! :borat:
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

So US is drastically cutting its LGA presence. I'm guessing this might not be happy news for our friends who work there. :?
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

So if I'm reading this correctly U.S is moving their ops to the Marine Air Terminal and DL will have their existing terminal and all the gates in US Terminal? That's a HUGE move and it really puts AA and UA at a competitive disadvantage Be interesting to see what AA and UA decide to do now.

I saw another article on US Airways...here is what will happen:
    Delta Airlines will move to the US Airways Terminal.
    Delta Shuttle will move to the US Airways Terminal.
    US Airways will move to the Delta Terminal.
    US Airways Shuttle will move to the Marine Air Terminal.

Quoted from another article on MSN Money:
    LaGuardia

US Airways will maintain a significant operation at LGA and plans to operate up to 72 peak-day flights, making it the airport’s third largest carrier (based on peak day departures). Mainline flight levels will not be reduced, and the airline will continue to operate its popular US Airways Shuttle with hourly service to Washington, D.C. and Boston, as well as service to Charlotte and Wilmington, N.C. and Philadelphia, and Pittsburgh, Penn.

US Airways Shuttle at LGA will operate out of the Marine Air Terminal while service to Charlotte, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, and Wilmington will operate from terminal D. The move to the Marine Air Terminal is expected to occur in early 2010, and US Airways intends to make enhancements to meet the needs of Shuttle customers.

With 125 fewer slot pairs at LGA, US Airways plans to discontinue service to 26 Express destinations served from LGA. In a separate announcement made earlier today, Delta Air Lines communicated its intent with regard to the 125 slot pairs transferred to it by US Airways.

The reduction in Express flying at LGA will result in the need for approximately 300 fewer employees at US Airways’ wholly owned regional carrier, Piedmont Airlines. Piedmont CEO Steve Farrow said, "While this is good news for our parent company, US Airways, it is very disappointing news for the Piedmont team. Our employees have done an excellent job of providing service to US Airways and its customers. We understand the need to optimize assets, though, and we will ensure that all affected Piedmont employees are treated fairly."
    In addition, US will launch ISP-DCA once the transaction is completed.
    May 16, 1992-May 9, 2012

wow! Interesting it'll be when Delta expands in LGA..looking forward to seeing more of Delta @ LGA LOLz.
    JETTING IS WAY MORE THAN JUST FREE PEANUTS! JETTING IS ABOUT THE PEOPLE!

Quote Originally Posted by jetblue187
    wow! Interesting it'll be when Delta expands in LGA..looking forward to seeing more of Delta @ LGA LOLz.
    It would be nice to see DL bring back the schedule 763s again lol
    Sergio has been a huge Delta Air Lines fan since 1992!!

Sergio Cardona

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos....e=1&display=15

Quote Originally Posted by Delta777LR
    Quote Originally Posted by jetblue187
    It would be nice to see DL bring back the schedule 763s again lol
    It sure has been a while since DL had 763s at LGA. Would be nice to have them there again.
    May 16, 1992-May 9, 2012

Re: Delta and US to Swap Terminals, Slots at LGA and DCA

I am truly sorry for those friends who work for US. Again, they think they can shrink to profitability. It has been proven that this strategy does not work. It only looks good on a spreadsheet.

Sorry, it's really time to kick the two idiots at the top out and get some REAL management.

For a case study, just look at what US did in Pittsburgh......sad, just sad....
    It's the fares, stupid

Quote Originally Posted by JetBlueAirwaysFan

Did anyone read the original post???? :evil:
    Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by emshighway
    Quote Originally Posted by JetBlueAirwaysFan

Did anyone read the original post???? :evil:
    I know...just reiterating.
    May 16, 1992-May 9, 2012