Thread: Mopar Heaven - Chryslers at Carlisle

Mopar Heaven - Chryslers at Carlisle

Just got back from a weekend at the All Chrysler Nationals in Carlisle, PA. It's one of the largest Chrysler shows in the country - we had over 2,200 cars entered this weekend. They have some show cars, specialty cars, and usually one or two special theme categories, but the bulk of the show is made up of the "Fun Field" - anyone with a Chrysler (or related) product can bring it down. I've been going for close to 15 years, and have entered my Stratus the past 5 years. The show also serves as the annual get-together of the Mopar Mailing List, an e-mail group I belong to. We have a big BBQ on Saturday evening - this year we had 70+ people - and everyone eagerly anticipates our traditional main course, deep fried turkey!

I love E-bodies (1970-74 Barracudas and Challengers)

Long-time drag racer "Big Daddy" Don Garlits was in attendance.

Lots of old iron as well, like this 1948 Chrysler New Yorker.

This is what I love about the Fun Field - go down one row and see a gaggle of Hemi Road Runners, go down the next and see a K-Car wagon!

This sharp Belvedere wagon belongs to a fellow MML member.

This restored Nassau County Highway Patrol Plymouth Gran Fury is owned by a current NCPD Highway Patrol member.

They set up a replica of a 1969 dealership.

A small portion of the Fun Field

One of our members proudly showing his MML affiliation :D

They don't make them like this anymore...probably a good thing, as there probably isn't enough steel left in the world to make them like this anymore!

Flames on an LHS sedan? Why not...and yes, this one is owned by an MMLer too :D

Here's part of the vendor area - you can get just about anything Mopar related, just bring money!

Mopar's historic "High Impact" colors have made a comeback recently.

One mean fish!

Saturday wraps up with a burn-out contest. We couldn't figure out how this guy made all the pink smoke!

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS

Re: Mopar Heaven - Chryslers at Carlisle

Good stuff John, if your a Mopar fan you would have loved my 70' Challenger. Had a 383 in it. Unfortunately I destroyed it. Great shots. I would love to get my hands on a Cuda though at this point in my life I want just one more muscle car and that is a Corvette.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s

very very nice moose... still don't get the mopar part, but i can't complain. the dealership was a nice touch!

seeing these pix only reminds me that i didn't buy that '77 bronco i saw on the bowery. damn, damn, damn!
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

First, John, post more pics! I really liked!

Secondly...

Why is that one car on its side?
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!

Good eye Phil.

He's probably showcasing his suspension.
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

Phil, that car is on a "car rotisserie" - it connects to the frame, and allows you to rotate the car so you can work on all sides and the bottom easily. They are very popular with auto restoration folks.

My first car ride was in something like this - a 1959 Plymouth when I was just a couple of days old :shock:

Here's a little short wheel base dragster, powered by a Hemi. Not a ride for the faint of heart!

One of the special themes this year was an "A12 Reunion" - A12 being the Chrysler package code for a limited production of cars, designated as "1969 1/2" model year. These were Plymouth Road Runners and Dodge Super Bees with a 440 ci in engine, 3 - 2BBL carbs - which is why you see them with either "Six Pack" (Dodge) or "6BBL" (Plymouth) on the hood scoop - and a light-weight, lift-off hood. They had over 50 on hand, some 1/6th of those known to survive.

People like to have fun with their PT Cruisers...

Since AMC became part of Chrysler 20 some years ago, we get the occasional Javelin or AMX on the show field as well. And as you can see in the background, there was even a Gremlin this year.

This is "Pig Doc", one of our MML members, watching over the pork chops on the BBQ. He works in veterinary and agricultural medicine at a PA university, specifically in the care and raising of pigs. He got the nickname about 15 years ago, when a fairly detailed e-mail describing a pig autopsy that was meant for his students was sent to the MML in error :shock: I won't repeat some of the stories he told while sitting around the MML tent Saturday afternoon.

I only hang out with the best crowds - we were named "Coolest Club Hangout"!

David Snyder, a well-known automotive artist, works on his next painting.

I was going to run my Stratus through the dyno test, but I didn't want to embarrass anyone

One of the local off-road clubs did a rock climb demo.

Hey Mario, this should be big enough to haul the kids around in!

hey john that pink smoke is specially made tires that have color dyed on the rubber.. so when you smoke the tires instead of the typical white that you see, you have whatever color they dyed. Its more popular in the drifting world then actual daily driving use.