Thread: PC Assistance

PC Assistance

Hi Everyone,

I'm having some difficulties with my pc and am getting a windows installer pop-up. I was hoping someone here could assist. I've been to some of the pc tech forums and have received some good advice but nothing that has resolved my issue. Here it is:

"Error 997: Overlapped I/O Operation is in progress" The windows installer pops up when clicking the My Computer icon, and then a few minutes later the icon opens. I know there is a conflict somewhere causing this, but with my limited knowledge, I'm done. I don't know where else or what to look for

I am using Win 2000 Pro and have checked the registry settings, event log, applications, etc. to no avail. I'm almost through backing up all of my important files for the eventual FDISK & reload windows.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Mike

Senior Member Fighting_falcon_51's Avatar

Re: PC Assistance

Quote Originally Posted by Bellucciman
    Hi Everyone,

I'm having some difficulties with my pc and am getting a windows installer pop-up. I was hoping someone here could assist. I've been to some of the pc tech forums and have received some good advice but nothing that has resolved my issue. Here it is:

"Error 997: Overlapped I/O Operation is in progress" The windows installer pops up when clicking the My Computer icon, and then a few minutes later the icon opens. I know there is a conflict somewhere causing this, but with my limited knowledge, I'm done. I don't know where else or what to look for

I am using Win 2000 Pro and have checked the registry settings, event log, applications, etc. to no avail. I'm almost through backing up all of my important files for the eventual FDISK & reload windows.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Mike
    I never hear of that error before, the best I could do is redirect you to geeks.pirillo.com and there are a lot of people there willing to help put.
    http://www.kjpgallery.com << Photography Collection
    http://www.nyasinfo.com << Jones Beach Airshow Information (Updates continue in November)

After installing MSI (Windows Installer) 3.0 on Windows 2000 Professional SP4 you may recieve the following error message:
    997: Overlapped I/O operation is in progress when starting the Windows Installer service or installing any program using Windows Installer.

To resolve this type MSIEXEC.EXE /REGSERVER in the Run Dialog box
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

Yep, that's what I did this afternoon and brought the system back to normal. I found the commands in a PC forum. Man, I went into so many forums before I found the fix!

Thanks for checking! And now for Mozilla!! No more IE for me