Thread: NY Attorney General FINALLY Shuts Down Scam Camera Stores

NY Attorney General FINALLY Shuts Down Scam Camera Stores

Consumerist:
    If you bought cameras or electronics from any of these stores recently you were probably scammed: Best Price Camera, Foto Connection, 1 Way Photo, 86th Street Photo, Broadway Photo, Camera Whiz, and Sonic Photo. Or perhaps you bought something online from one of their astonishing array of alter egos and websites (see full list).

Despite their fancy ads in reputable photography magazines, these Brooklyn-based con artists have been ripping people off for decades: using bait and switch, calling up customers to harass them into buying extra batteries or accessories, leaving threatening voicemails, overcharging credit cards, and charging phony "restocking fees".

Following a lengthy investigation, the NY Attorney General's office announced yesterday that it has closed down two stores completely, fined all seven businesses a total of $655,000 plus $100,000 legal fees, forced the remaining stores to overhaul their work practices, and is monitoring the businesses to ensure they comply with the law.
    http://consumerist.com/5305302/ny-attor ... era-stores
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Re: NY Attorney General FINALLY Shuts Down Scam Camera Stores

I've seen the likes of them, all with Brooklyn address on eBay... almost bought some things from at least one of them but am glad I didn't. It's about time that justice is served.

I think these places have been mentioned quite a few times on this site and Anet. A shame that they duped so many, but when you've got a passion for photography and you see a good deal...tough to resist.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS

Great news indeed, one of these stores attempted to charge my AMEX card over $2K a few months after I bought a lens from them with no problems. When I saw the charge I researched it and found out they moved out of their location and was one of these sites. AMEX was also great in the situation. Also not mentioned was that these stores sell Gray market merchandise without telling the consumer beforehand like B&H does. You think your getting a good deal but your buying merchandise that the manufacturer won't service or warranty. It's a shame that such horrible practices exist in this business.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol