I can't say I am surprised. It's just SO unoriginal though.

6 other kids, too! Youngest is 9 months. She's like a crackbaby machine.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_crim ... _kids.html

Box baby mom a crackhead hooker with 6 kids

BY Zak Failla
DAILY NEWS WRITER

Friday, June 26th 2009, 4:00 AM

The Long Island woman who dumped her baby in a shoebox is a crack-addicted hooker with six other kids, police said Thursday.

"She was down on her luck. She supported herself by selling herself," Detective Lt. Ray Cote of the Nassau County Police Department said.

Xiomara Gamez, 24, gave birth to the girl in the basement of an abandoned building, stuffed her in a Timberland box and left her in an apartment building lobby.

Gamez told cops she chose the Hempstead, L.I., building because she knew there were several Hispanic families with kids living there.

She said she is an illegal immigrant from El Salvador and abandoned the child because she feared deportation, police said.

The baby's father, who was also in the country illegally, had already returned to his native Guatemala, investigators said.

Gamez has six kids, ages 9 months to 8 years, who live with her ex-husband. She told cops she used crack during her last pregnancy.

The baby - initially called Hope by cops but apparently named Pearl - was found with its umbilical cord still attached, tied off with dental floss.

Cops tracked down Gamez after getting a tip from a relative, and she was arrested Wednesday.

A Nassau County judge ordered Gamez held in lieu of $250,000 cash bail on child abandonment and endangerment charges. She also was wanted on an unrelated theft warrant.