Thread: First A340 Parted Out (MSN 16 G-VSKY/9Y-JIL)

First A340 Parted Out (MSN 16 G-VSKY/9Y-JIL)

According to Cactuswings, the ex-VS/BW A340-311 G-VSKY/9Y-JIL/D-AIEL (MSN 16) has reportedly been scrapped at Goodyear, AZ. The airframe was described as having been "...cut into several pieces."

The aircraft was originally delivered to VS, having first flown on 03/11/1993. She was named "China Girl" while in service with VS until being returned to the lessor in 2003. She flew for BW for a short time before being stored as Bristol in 11/2006 until finally being ferried to Goodyear in 2/2008. Earlier reports stated that the airframe was destined for Air Comet, but that obviously fell through. I know this isn't the first A340 to have been scrapped (a number have been written off and subsequently parted out), but this is the first frame to be retired, stored, and then cut up for scrap.

This was the same aircraft that made an emergency landing at Heathrow back in 1997.

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s

Re: First A340 Parted Out (MSN 16 G-VSKY/9Y-JIL)

that's very young, but it's only going to become more and more common. airbus doesn't even produce the 200/300 anymore (at least i'm 90% sure about that) and there aren't any freighter conversions. these airplanes are just going to get parked and parted out as they get to uneconomical to operate...
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Quote Originally Posted by cancidas
    that's very young, but it's only going to become more and more common. airbus doesn't even produce the 200/300 anymore (at least i'm 90% sure about that) and there aren't any freighter conversions. these airplanes are just going to get parked and parted out as they get to uneconomical to operate...
    I think the -300 is still available, but there are no outstanding orders.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

The 300 is still available, I think the last newly delivered ones went to Tahiti a year or two ago. The thing about Airbus manufactured airplanes is that their airframes being mostly composite from what I understand are cycle limited. Years means nothing in airplane speak.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"