Thread: New Macbooks...please explain

New Macbooks...please explain

I was just looking at Mac's new Mac book Pros and can someone please explain to me why they are so damn expensive?

http://www.engadget.com/2009/06/08/appl ... wwdc-2009/

Their least expensive Macbook Pro is $1699 and there's no PC card slot meaning you can't use an aircard, the graphic memory is integrated, and then what's up with the built in battery? That has to be the dumbest thing I've seen on a laptop. Unless the battery is designed to last at full strength for the average life of the laptop then why do I want a battery I cannot remove?

So someone please explain why they are so expensive when I can buy this?

http://www.dell.com/content/products/pr ... =dhs&cs=19

Yes I know Windows Vista isn't that great but I fail to see the difference in price.

Re: New Macbooks...please explain

Actually, Vista is now up to par with its recent service packs, and the early problems that plagued it should be fixed now. Vista's reputation has gone up tremendously since its debut.

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s

tommy, just an FYI... you can still buy a toshiba laptop new, with XP on it. they're a bit cheaper than the macbooks but two i routinely use are about 3 years old so far and work great. my tablet was dropped by TSA in MRY and replacing the outer case was the only repair work i've had done to it.
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bird76
    I was just looking at Mac's new Mac book Pros and can someone please explain to me why they are so damn expensive?

http://www.engadget.com/2009/06/08/appl ... wwdc-2009/

Their least expensive Macbook Pro is $1699 and there's no PC card slot meaning you can't use an aircard, the graphic memory is integrated, and then what's up with the built in battery? That has to be the dumbest thing I've seen on a laptop. Unless the battery is designed to last at full strength for the average life of the laptop then why do I want a battery I cannot remove?

So someone please explain why they are so expensive when I can buy this?
    Apples will always be more expensive, and there will always be arguments over whether its worth it.

Re: PC card slot... you can use a USB aircard
    Re: graphics... it is a separate graphics card, but it is the same lower-end NVidia card in the regular MacBook. You need at least the $1999 15in MBP for the better graphics.
    Re: battery... they've been this way since the last update. Kind of obnoxious, but how often do you really change your battery? Probability is by the time it dies in a few years, you'll want a faster MacBook anyway. And if you really want to replace it, there are affordable third-party DIY kits just like the ones offered for iPod so you don't have to ship it to Apple.

If you have a problem with your Dell, you can call India and speak to a dozen people who may or may not understand your language and solve your problem. If you have a problem with your Mac, you can bring it to an Apple store or call an American English speaking support rep.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Apples will always be more expensive, and there will always be arguments over whether its worth it
    That's what I want to figure out Matt, there has to be a reason. Is the hardware they use better? I don't mind spending money on something but if I'm going to spend more on product A vs. B there has to be a solid reason. The Mac store thing is great but I'm not sure it justifies the expense.

The hardware they use is not necessarily better...not counting the cases, I believe the motherboards are the only part built exclusively for Apple. The other components like the hard drives and video cards and batteries are all built by companies like Samsung and Intel and Sony and sold to other computer manufacturers for their machines as well.

What is unique is that the Mac OS is made specifically to work only with Apple-built computers, which in theory means fewer hardware and software conflicts and a smoother experience. Windows, on the other hand, has to work with millions of potential hardware combinations from thousands of different vendors, which leads to many of the problems with Windows, and can make solving problems more difficult due to the huge number of potential sources.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Senior Member Fighting_falcon_51's Avatar

If you are going to buy one get it as a base config, 2GB RAM and the smallest hard drive and then just go to an online vendor like newegg or crucial and get it dirt cheap compared to what apple wants you to spend.
    http://www.kjpgallery.com << Photography Collection
    http://www.nyasinfo.com << Jones Beach Airshow Information (Updates continue in November)

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!

Re: battery... they've been this way since the last update. Kind of obnoxious, but how often do you really change your battery? .... there are affordable third-party DIY kits just like the ones offered for iPod so you don't have to ship it to Apple.
    Yep. Also, something I have considered, but a colleague on facebook just removed his DVD drive and replaced it with a 2nd internal hard drive. I think he now has a 320 + 250 gig HD. NIce!

If you have a problem with your Dell, you can call India and speak to a dozen people who may or may not understand your language and solve your problem. If you have a problem with your Mac, you can bring it to an Apple store or call an American English speaking support rep.
    To me, that justified the expense. Having spent 7 hours spread out over the course of 3 days to rectify a problem with Dell support, I came to the conclusion that I didn't need support, I needed a fix. And I could have made a lot more money with that time wasted.

Further, and this is a good way Dell can save $$$, Dell's new support should be as follows: Once the computer is sold, include in the package a ton of flowcharts of things to do to fix the computer. After all, all these Indian and Thai outsourced workers are doing is reading flowcharts off to me. Its a joke.

I pay dearly, not for my Mac, but for its speed, how it helps with my photos, ease of use and peace of mind. I love that if I have a problem with my Apple, I'll NEVER call Applecare. Instead I will just walk into the mall 6 minutes away and drop it off. I'll stick to what I know best...eyecare.

Tom, as I said earlier to you, trying to justify a Mac is no different than trying to justify the "x" amount more that you'd pay for a Mercedes. I just dont see myself blowing a lot on a car whereas others do.
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bird76
    .....and there's no PC card slot meaning you can't use an aircard, the graphic memory is integrated, and then what's up with the built in battery? That has to be the dumbest thing I've seen on a laptop. Unless the battery is designed to last at full strength for the average life of the laptop then why do I want a battery I cannot remove?

Tom, I just got the following this morning.

http://ptech.allthingsd.com/20090624/ne ... od=ATD_rss
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

Senior Member Fighting_falcon_51's Avatar

Well once your battery gets worn out they charge you a ton of money to get it replaced just like the iPod.
    http://www.kjpgallery.com << Photography Collection
    http://www.nyasinfo.com << Jones Beach Airshow Information (Updates continue in November)