Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Given the following, what would you do?

Re: Given the following, what would you do?

Quote Originally Posted by mirrodie
    THanks Gman.

We weren't seriously considering American but the Chysler Pacifica and GMC Acadia may be worth looking at.
    WHY DO YOU HATE AMERICA?

Just kidding, Toyota and Honda aren't in much better shape than GM at this point (even though they have better cars) so you'll find a good deal on something good.

But if you do buy American, keep in mind President Obama has promised to come over and repair your car himself.

(Funny thing is this cover was made during the campaign, long before the GM/Chrysler mess and his government warranty backup plan.)
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

I know you aren't that thrilled with current SUV's on the market. But how about the Toyota RAV4 or Honda CRV they are pretty good on gas from what I hear. I have a Toyota Highlander, its not as great on gas but its still pretty good. Rated at 17/20, but according to my real time fuel economy I get 16/26.
    Patrick O --- Staten Island, NY

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!

Matt, I love America. In fact, my first car was

In fact, when I was your age, many a fine lady were introduced to this model!
    :twisted:

Highheels can attest, from there, I drove 3 OTHER blue wagons, A Suburu, A Toyota with 4 wheel drive(TONS of fun) and a Mercedes Diesel. As some here know, I drove anything to get me through to school.

Actually Highlander is in strong contention.
    We are still in research mode, but the Toyota Highlander, Rav4, Hyundai Santa Fe and Veracruz and, only lately the GMC Envoy and Arcadia are being looked at. Saw the Arcadia parked next to the Envoy and I think the Arcadia is TOO big.

I know Art's thought that Hyundai's have America's best warranty, b/c they need it! But I look at a long warranty as a stamp of long term commitment. What say you?
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

I know Art's thought that Hyundai's have America's best warranty, b/c they need it! But I look at a long warranty as a stamp of long term commitment. What say you?
    Car companies don't give you warranties expecting a ton of claims on them, that would cost them money. A long warranty is not only a sign of commitment but of reliability. Mario you know I travel allot and 9 out of 10 times when I rent if Avis doesn't give my a Hyundai Sonata I'll go back and ask for one I like it that much. The opposite is true when they give me a Dodge product..I've had Sebrings, Chargers, 300s, and the plastic POS Caliber and each one is junk. Their fit and finish is old and cheaply designed, terrible engines and tranny's as well. Now some will tell you that its a rental so that makes a difference....BS. Rental fleets aren't different then the cars you can get off a lot and being an Avis First member I get the cars with under 3000 miles. Anytime I get a Dodge...I go back and ask for a Hyundai. As for the Santa Fee I had one of those in LA last year..I flipping loved it, I'd buy one in a second.

Mario, as a 2nd gen altima owner...

Repairs on the car are very minimal...

Once all the major repairs are done such as the intake manifold gasket issues...the car will run non-stop.

The KA24DE motor is a work of art out of Nissan, you will go through a tranny before that motor fails.

Oh, Tom, believe me, I KNOW long warranties are a GOOD thing. I consider them a testimony to how well a product will hold up. I'm just curious how others feel about long warranties.

So when I hear BMW ads and their 3 or 4 year warranty, I feel they are total bogus. I loved the Sonata rental we got the day we were engaged.

Now, if GMC put out such a warranty, I'd be on it in no time.
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

Oh, Tom, believe me, I KNOW long warranties are a GOOD thing. I consider them a testimony to how well a product will hold up. I'm just curious how others feel about long warranties.

So when I hear BMW ads and their 3 or 4 year warranty, I feel they are total bogus. I loved the Sonata rental we got the day we were engaged.

Now, if GMC put out such a warranty, I'd be on it in no time.

oh the Sonata's have changed A LOT since then Mario!

Thanks for the tips. We actually have a 2000 ALtima and 2006 Altima, but there were up to 3 others in the family at one time (in laws) so we know they are reliable.

Been looking at cars, the considerations are:

Hyundai Veracruz or Santa Fe
    Toyota Highlander or 4RUnner
    GMC Envoy or Acadia.

AS we are doing reseach we fell upon the Toyota Land Cruiser. $64,000 for what??? I was driving behind one yesterday and it looks no different than the 4runner for $30 K more???!!! Does it fellate the driver? Why is that thing so expensive?

Thanks for the tips. We actually have a 2000 ALtima and 2006 Altima, but there were up to 3 others in the family at one time (in laws) so we know they are reliable.

Been looking at cars, the considerations are:

Hyundai Veracruz or Santa Fe
    Toyota Highlander or 4RUnner
    GMC Envoy or Acadia.

AS we are doing reseach we fell upon the Toyota Land Cruiser. $64,000 for what??? I was driving behind one yesterday and it looks no different than the 4runner for $30 K more???!!! Does it fellate the driver? Why is that thing so expensive?
    Mario the Land Cruiser is dramatically different the the 4 Runner. The Land Cruiser while not practical here on Long Island is one of the best heavy duty SUV's built. They are highly sort after in the Mideast because of their ability to stand up to the harsh climate their. You could run it through a brick wall and it probably wouldn't have a scratch on it. But running back and forth to the Supermarket with it...a waste of money.

The 4 runner is rather small for an SUV and prone to roll overs because of its narrow body and high stance. The Santa Fe is wider and lower to the ground. The Santa Fe also really isn't an SUV, which is why it gets decent MPGs for its size. Its not built on a true truck platform like the 4 Runner and Land Cruiser which also makes it ride better. Funny you mention the Santa Fe, I saw one this morning in a dark red, really nice looking car. They did a nice job on that car and they give you a ton of features which would be optional on the Toyota and GMC.

Still that LandCruiser pricing is insane!

4Runner > Highlander > Sante Fe is the order of sizing in specifics in terms of both length and width.

So perhaps you meant the RAV4, as that is smaller?

Next step is to go out looking but leaning heavily toward Hyundai. I owed onw way back, an 89 that stank. They have come a long way.

OK, time for me to chime in if it's not too late......

First of all, Phil was absolutely correct--if leasing, you want to put as LITTLE up front as possible. Remember there's a difference between "down" and "up front". Down payment is also known as capitalized cost reduction, which is used to offset the amount financed by the lease.
    Up front fees include the down payment as well as all fees and taxes associated with the lease--bank fee, security deposit, etc.

Leasing a GM car is not an option as NO ONE is offering leases on them at the moment, and due to EXTREMELY low residuals, I think lease payments would be through the roof. I am not sure about Chrysler, but I am not sure leases would be available on their vehicles either.

The Pacifica was discontinued last year. I have rented them on occasion, and was not impressed.

My recommendation would be to look at crossovers--not quite minivans but not quite SUV's. If you were happy with the Altima, I would recommend the Murano--the Rogue may be too small for your growing family. Due to my bad experience with Infiniti, I can't recommend the FX or EX.

The Acadia is nice, and I have a friend who is a GMC dealer if you're interested. The Buick Enclave is the same car basically as well. Remember though you might not get a lease on a GM vehicle.

Call me when you're ready and I will go with you if you like--as I did last time.

Best,
    Art
    It's the fares, stupid

Leasing a GM car is not an option as NO ONE is offering leases on them at the moment
    Art GMAC is offering lease programs and many dealerships have setup local programs ith banks.

Interesting you bring up residuals because for some reason right now Chrysler residuals are higher then GM residuals. Talking to our lease company (GE) the other day they are at a loss as to why. First time that has ever happened.

I hate looking at cars.

Finally had a chance to see:

Honda Pilot-excellent reliability, priced kinda steep

Toyota Highlander- same as above.

Hyundai Veracruz- nice but once the 3rd row is up, very little cargo room. Not very roomy.

Nissan Pathfinder (Murano is smallish for us.)- mensa mensa.

Looks like the Pilot is the top contender. We were really amped up on the Hyundai Veracruz but having seen it, its somewhat small. Did a lot of research with Consumers Reports and while Hyundai has a great warranty, their problem rate mirrors GMC and Chysler (as a function of age). Honda and Toyota are both up there, with the Nissan a close second. :borat:

These are for the family car, of course. When it comes time to give up the old Altima, I am still LOVING the totally impractical FJ Cruiser for me..... perhaps in a few years I'll treat myself. That is one AWESOME looking ride.

Mario,

I am not sure but I believe the Murano has more interior space than the Pathfinder--but that's just according to my memory.

Do you need a third row?

From what I have seen the Acadia/Enclave is pretty good....how did you like it?
    It's the fares, stupid

Murano is remarkably smaller than Pathfinder, Pathfinder has a 3rd row, Murano, no.

Hyundais Veracruz is similar to Murano, but they threw in a third row seat.

Acadia/Enclave look appealing but research was less than I would have liked. The reliability numbers are low over the long haul. Otherwise, sizewise they'd be great