Thread: 5/23/09 – JFK – Bayswater

5/23/09 – JFK – Bayswater

Went to JFK for a little bit before heading to FRG. At Bayswater, a park ranger on a moped came up and said I couldn't take pictures because it "was a state park" and that they didn't like "telescopic" lenses pointed toward the airport. Then he reinforced the fact that it was a state park rule, and told me he was instructed to call police in this type of instance, but wasn't going to - but that I ran the chance of getting a ticket. He also stated that a person with airport identification was given a ticket for doing the same thing recently. He told me to look on the website, and it's posted there (so far, all I've seen on the site is a pic of the park with a background of the airport, which technically would be illegal given his explanation). When I stated that I've never had a problem with law enforcement there, he stated that they had just started to patrol and enforce it. I decided to leave after only about 30 minutes because overcast sky was rolling in, and I didn't want to deal with any further drama. Clearly, photography at NY state parks isn't banned, so was this guy just on a power trip?
    General Photography - Website | Instagram
    PlaneCaptures - Website | Instagram

Re: 5/23/09 – JFK – Bayswater

Quote Originally Posted by Cary
    At Bayswater, a park ranger on a moped came up and said I couldn't take pictures because it "was a state park"...
    From the NYS Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation Rules and Regulations

http://nysparks.state.ny.us/news/public ... ations.pdf

The following activities shall require a permit:
    (a) Fireworks and explosives<snip>

(b) Commercial activities. The selling or offering for sale, hire orlease of any merchandise, service or other thing of value; the taking of moving pictures or photographs for commercial or publicity purposes or the purchasing or selling of negatives thereof or prints therefrom or the exhibition of same in public.
    It is not illegal to take pictures in a state park. You need a permit if you are taking them for a commercial purpose, but for a private individual, there is no restriction on taking photos. Are they really going to start chasing every camper in a NYS park who takes a photo of the family around the campfire?

He needs to direct you to the law which restricts photography of airports - I doubt he will find one.

What about taking pics at the airport, like JFK? Are people allowed to hang at the parking garage watching planes? I dont see anything wrong with that. What we need is I.D. badges from our organization..maybe the police/PA will stop bothering us.
    JETTING IS WAY MORE THAN JUST FREE PEANUTS! JETTING IS ABOUT THE PEOPLE!

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS

Bayswater seems to be the current hot spot lately. I shot there with a buddy of mine on the 26th from out of town and as soon as we parked some guy came up and asked us all the questions then called NYPD because they showed as soon as we got in position and unpacked our gear. Two marked cars pulling up and everything. They also have these things now that resemble summonses but are for their use to prove they ran down a civilian call or complaint. The one officer was a complete ass hat to me when I asked what they were because they really look like a traffic ticket but he said in a real rude way "you would be in cuffs now if you were doing anything wrong". Just know your rights and stand your ground if you get someone trying to tell you imiginary laws.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Nick, great to be back in NYC right?

Do you know what Precinct they were from?

Tom
    "Keep 'em Flying"

Nick, great to be back in NYC right?
    Yea except for the crappy wx. Actually Dave and Randall got a visit from metro PD in LAS last month when they ventured onto Tropicana to shoot one day. The stop was very professional, they were asked to put their hands on the car and all that (not sure if frisked) but once the officer ran their ID he was real nice discussing cameras and planes with them and letting them know that if a call is placed he has to do his job. Nice to see he wasn't making up laws and being rude. I didn't mind NYPD but the one officer had to be rude about it.

Do you know what Precinct they were from?
    Didn't think to get that. We heard the gate being unlocked as we walked to the water and as soon as we got our cameras out I looked left and two NYPD marked cars pulled up. That's all I got.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!

"you would be in cuffs now if you were doing anything wrong". Just know your rights and stand your ground if you get someone trying to tell you imiginary laws.

And was your answer, "But I'm not doing anything wrong, so how does that apply?"

I mean really, WTF??
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

[quote="Tom_Turner"]Nick, great to be back in NYC right?

>Do you know what Precinct they were from? <

Far Rockaway area is the 101 Pct.

I remembered being threat at Bayswater one time by a fisherman last summer, he saw that I was taking pictures there and he thought at first that I was taking pictures of him, but I told him that I was doing aviation photography and he tells me that he dont like that and he said that he would call the cops. And I told him that it was fine with me. I would make my way out of it. The guy had a real nasty attitude with me, acting like he was a cop. But I did also mention that (I understand that you dont like seeing anyone titaking pictures, but its my hobby and im entitled to, as long as its not illigal)
    Sergio has been a huge Delta Air Lines fan since 1992!!

Sergio Cardona

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos....e=1&display=15

I remembered being threat at Bayswater one time by a fisherman last summer, he saw that I was taking pictures there and he thought at first that I was taking pictures of him, but I told him that I was doing aviation photography and he tells me that he dont like that and he said that he would call the cops. And I told him that it was fine with me. I would make my way out of it. The guy had a real nasty attitude with me, acting like he was a cop. But I did also mention that (I understand that you dont like seeing anyone titaking pictures, but its my hobby and im entitled to, as long as its not illigal)
    Good for you Sergio. Yea the fishermen aren't too fond of us but it's all relative I have had mostly good experience with them.