Thread: Concorde at Intrepid Pier

Concorde at Intrepid Pier

I finally got up-close to see the British Concorde on the new Pier 86 by the Intrepid Museum. I am happy with what I saw. The broken radome-nose was repaired well. I could not find the seams of the repair even in the bright sunlight yesterday. The new Pier is lovely-like a park with trees, tables and chairs, etc. Best of all it's free to go on the pier but you must get a free ticket from the box office. To board the aircraft, you still must purchase a ticket for about $20. The aircraft looked nice and shiny. The Rolls Royce engine is nearby in an enclosed plexiglass. Visitors can sit under the aircraft to inspect it from all angles. I will return often as it is very relaxing. At the time, the NYPD was doing a demonstration air-sea rescue with helicopters so it was fun to watch.

Re: Concorde at Intrepid Pier

Neat, didn't realize you could walk out there for free, thanks for the info.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Its free thats brilliant :)

Well done Intrepid :)

It sounds great, i'd love to go and see her again but would not go inside as i want keep the memories of my flight on her in my head.

If i went inside her my memories of her in flight would be partly replaced with what she looks like now and i dont want that.

But not sure when i will see her as due to the world wide recession things in UK are very very bad so at the moment a flight to NYC is out of the question :(

The free admission to the new pier is a well-guarded secret and you still must go through security and wait in line to get in. Well worth the wait. They even still have the machine where you can make "squashed" pennies with airline logos for just 51 cents. The machines at the new stadiums charge $1.01.