Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: ORBIS Plane at LGA

Re: ORBIS Plane at LGA

Danr Ron - you are right - I got here a little after that!
    Mark Lawrence - KFLL
    Davie, FL

Community Manager NYCAviation.com
    email: [email protected]

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=1538
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/9633283@N04/

OK, I keep hearing how great Brooke was, but where's the pictures of Brooke???

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!

NIce shots.

NIce to see some of our older equipment being out to good use. A lot of those slit lamps are very old but seem in great condition. Some good Zeiss and Alcon equipment onboard and I suspect Alcon donates the intraocular lenses and meds for surgeries.

WHile the medical aspect is home to me, did they go into any detail about it? Did anyone find the non-aviation parts interesting?
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

Mario, we definitely got the "lite" version of the mission/equipment tour, but I found it fascinating. Interesting stuff, and some great work that they do!

Quote Originally Posted by markg
    OK, I keep hearing how great Brooke was, but where's the pictures of Brooke???

In a word, WOW!
    DC-10-10 at LAG, good times!
    "my finger on the shutter button, while my eye is over my shoulder"

Thanks Moose!

Not quite what I would expect someone called Brooke to look like, but not bad!

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!

Well I took the last tour with my son and the other doctor who toured with Orbis in China.

The Port authority guys were just complete tools and IMHO scared the bejesus out of hte Orbis folks.

I took a few underarm shots of the bird but nothing spectacular.
    The bird is going to be in LGA for the week. Next stop is Syria.

It'd be a perfect success if it were not for the oppressive camera regulations.
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

Quote Originally Posted by mirrodie
    The Port authority guys were just complete tools and IMHO scared the bejesus out of hte Orbis folks.

It'd be a perfect success if it were not for the oppressive camera regulations.
    I'm surprised the were PANYNJ people even there. Every time I went by it was just Aviation Safeguards who were told no wandering. There are no oppressive camera regulations. I even told them there were going to be camera enthusiasts who would show up and you know what you can and cannot do better than most of the PANYNJ people.

Understand though they were set up for a lot of tours and Orbis' focus was to show the inside of the plane to as many people as possible.
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by emshighway
    There are no oppressive camera regulations...
    It clearly wasn't the ORBIS folks who kept us from shooting. Our guide was quite specific - Port told them absolutely no photos out on the ramp - not of their aircraft, not of other aircraft, nothing. She even warned us not to get close to a window and shoot outside, as Port would get on them for that. They wanted to bring a news crew out to film the aircraft, to get some additional publicity, and again, Port told them no. They were allowed one "volunteer photographer" per day, who could shoot inside the aircraft only, to provide them with images of the event. As several of us have said, she was extremely accommodating to us, letting us shoot anything we wanted inside, even taking us through the aircraft in the reverse direction of the main group so we could shoot without dodging the crowd.

It was made clear to us that Port was the reason behind the photo restrictions. And no, it wasn't because of Wednesday's incident - I had been told a week prior when I reserved my spot that Port wasn't going allow outside photography.

Quote Originally Posted by moose135
    It was made clear to us that Port was the reason behind the photo restrictions. And no, it wasn't because of Wednesday's incident - I had been told a week prior when I reserved my spot that Port wasn't going allow outside photography.
    Which is pretty ridiculous considering Kid's Day takes place on the same ramp.

Like others, I enjoyed the tour very much and had plenty of opportunities to photograph onboard the aircraft. The only damper was the unnecessary security surrounding the whole thing.

The plane will be replaced in two years by an MD-10, not an MD-11 as previously stated.

It was great to get a tour of this amazing aircraft, something which I never would have imagined doing. Thanks to EmsHighway and and Tommy for informing about the plane and tours. I really never thought I would see a DC-10 at LGA. The Orbis people were super friendly and let me photograph everything, but the Port yelled every time someone pulled out a camera. I wonder why they were so strict when we could take all the photos we wanted during Kids Day at the same location?
    The Orbis crew told me their replacement aircraft will be a MD-10-30, which will be more fuel efficient and have a more modern cockpit then their current aircraft. The plane will stay at LGA until Wednesday, then it will leave for Syria.
    Some shots:
    The plan for their next aircraft. They said they will fit it with all the modern technology, such as much more compact water filtration systems that will allow for a lot more usable space.

the classroom:

Audio/ Visual room. They have cameras positioned all over the aircraft.

the hallway

Quote Originally Posted by moose135
    Quote Originally Posted by emshighway
    There are no oppressive camera regulations...
    It clearly wasn't the ORBIS folks who kept us from shooting. Our guide was quite specific - Port told them absolutely no photos out on the ramp - not of their aircraft, not of other aircraft, nothing. She even warned us not to get close to a window and shoot outside, as Port would get on them for that. They wanted to bring a news crew out to film the aircraft, to get some additional publicity, and again, Port told them no. They were allowed one "volunteer photographer" per day, who could shoot inside the aircraft only, to provide them with images of the event. As several of us have said, she was extremely accommodating to us, letting us shoot anything we wanted inside, even taking us through the aircraft in the reverse direction of the main group so we could shoot without dodging the crowd.

It didn't come from us and I hadn't heard the PANYNJ say anything like this. No reason for it. The Airport Manager was very accommodating. Must have been PAPD.
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

The real shame about no cameras was Port's short sightedness when it came to a camera crew. NYC is the biggest media market in the world and this would have been great coverage for their cause. Port and LGA's airport manager Warren Koeppel really should have stepped up and allowed the press in. Shame on Port and LGA management.

Forgot to add my shots: