Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Low flying plane over Manhattan

Low flying plane over Manhattan

Just had an anouncement in my office building that there were reports of a low flying plane in the area, and some other building have been evacuated. seems is was a photo flight of some kind...
    Overheard on JFK TOWER - S Turns are fine, U-Turns are bad....

Re: Low flying plane over Manhattan

Why were they evacuating buildings? What moron called for that?

Even if it was a real threat, by the time you would even think to evacuate....you've been hit.

And yes, it's just a photo flight.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

they just anounced it was 2 f-16's and a 747????
    Overheard on JFK TOWER - S Turns are fine, U-Turns are bad....

...and not just any 747

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s

and i was stuck im TTN.. :(
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Quote Originally Posted by boynose
    It is the Airline of the President of the United States known as the United States Air Force. It was a CV-25 (otherwise known as Air Force One (when the President is aboard)). It was a photo shoot to get AF1 and the Statue of Liberty in one shot.

Sorry, I knew about it but couldn't publicize it.
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

Sorry I couldn't share this info with you guys in advance, but a few of my shots are here.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ewratc/

The haze was absolutely terrible out there this morning and light was very tuff.

Bill

Great shots, Bill. That bank is amazing in that one shot....can we get Evergreen to do that at JFK you think? haha

So basically the DOD conducted this "photo op" and didn't bother to inform organizations in Lower Manhattan. Sorry but the "we need to keep this sercure" line is bull$hit.... Instead they disrupt 1000s of people and business.

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bird76
    So basically the DOD conducted this "photo op" and didn't bother to inform organizations in Lower Manhattan. Sorry but the "we need to keep this sercure" line is bull$hit.... Instead they disrupt 1000s of people and business.
    yes. they are of course, the DoD. :roll:
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

They actually did notify the agencies with the need to know. The plane has UNITED STATES OF AMERICA across the side in hugh letters!!!
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

FOR OFFICIAL USE ONLY – NOT FOR PUBLIC OR MEDIA RELEASE

This notification is provided for situational awareness only, and it contains sensitive information regarding a military flight operation over New York City next Monday, April 27 at approximately 1000-1030 EDT. DoD’s Public Affairs posture for this operation is passive - response to query only, with no press release.

Two aircraft will be involved in Monday’s flight; a U.S. Air Force VC-25 will be the aircraft being photographed, and an F-16 Fighter will serve as the photography platform. The VC-25 is flown by the Air Force’s Presidential Airlift Group (PAG) and is a military variant of the Boeing 747 (called “Air Force One” when the President is onboard).

The intent of this mission is to take photos of the 747 with the Statue of Liberty in the background. The 747 and the F-16 will both depart from Andrews AFB at approximately 0930 EDT. Starting at about 1000 EDT, the 747 will fly north over the Verrazano Bridge and enter the counter-clockwise racetrack pattern depicted below at an altitude of 1,000 to 1,500 feet. The F-16 will maneuver to be in position about ˝ mile east of the 747 as it passes east of the Statue of Liberty. The F-16 will take pictures of the 747 with the Statue in the background at the viewing angle depicted by the red line below.

The 747 will fly two or three circuits of this racetrack pattern, and the F-16 will maneuver to be in the same relative position for the photo on each pass shown below at an altitude of 1,000 to 1,500 feet.

The attached memorandum from the FAA provides additional details about this operation. If weather conditions prevent the flight next Monday, the back-up dates are Tuesday, April 28 or Thursday, April 30.

By the way this is no longer sensitive information as it is after the fact.
    Ronald Reagan

Agreed. The President wasn't on board, and they were armed. No great reason for keeping this secret.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Guess they didn't want anyone to bring their stinger missiles to work to take pot shots at the plane.
    Ronald Reagan