Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Low flying plane over Manhattan

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s

Re: Low flying plane over Manhattan

Quote Originally Posted by emshighway
    Guess they didn't want anyone to bring their stinger missiles to work to take pot shots at the plane.
    or huge sigma lenses. 8)

i can see how people might have gotten scared, but it just goes to show how little they know about the aviation world. the exclusion under the bravo airspace allows for all aircraft to do this, not just little single engines cessnas and pipers. i've heard rumors that the two airplanes were doing 240kts at around 800ft, which is perfectly legal. let's not forget that this was a heavy jet and a fighter, not the type that can slow down to fly formation with a C-172.

in terms of letting the masses know, maybe the DoD should have released this info for the morning news.
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Oh btw when this plane was flying around and no one had a clue...the market tanked. Informing need to know agencies is one thing but the private sector runs this country and keeping this quiet was a bad idea.

Yeah, how do people not know about bravo airspace?!?!?! DUH!!
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Hey guys !!! Just saw the miece of information about this 747 flying at a low altitude over Manhattan !
    Three Forty found some pics on Flickr... Have a look ;)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ewratc/3480497524/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ewratc/3480497616/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ewratc/3479688357/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ewratc/3480497826/

Raph
    -- A 747 can hide another one --

Quote Originally Posted by emshighway
    Guess they didn't want anyone to bring their stinger missiles to work to take pot shots at the plane.
    Usually when President is actually on the plane, going somewhere, the whole world knows when and where ahead of time.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Watchin' EWR from somewhere in the 40.66 x -74.26 range...

Dang it! I knew I heard a SAM call sign yesterday! Oh well...next time.
    Cheers,
    Matt, W2MJR

Rookie Planespotter/Veteran Railfan
    "The movie should have been called Planes, Trains, & More Planes and Trains! Danged stupid automobiles!" -Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by cancidas
    i can see how people might have gotten scared, but it just goes to show how little they know about the aviation world. the exclusion under the bravo airspace allows for all aircraft to do this, not just little single engines cessnas and pipers. i've heard rumors that the two airplanes were doing 240kts at around 800ft, which is perfectly legal. let's not forget that this was a heavy jet and a fighter, not the type that can slow down to fly formation with a C-172.
    Just because it's allowed doesn't mean it is normal for airliners to do this. Even knowing this is legal, if I saw this happening and I couldn't see the paint on the 747, I'd be pretty concerned.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra Charlie
    Hey guys !!! Just saw the miece of information about this 747 flying at a low altitude over Manhattan !
    Three Forty found some pics on Flickr... Have a look ;)
    Thanks for sharing, the shots you found are actually by Bill / njgtr82, which he posted on the first page of this thread. :)

low-flying-plane-over-manhattan-p114449.html#p114449

too bad I wasnt in Manhattan at the time to catch it hahaha.
    Sergio has been a huge Delta Air Lines fan since 1992!!

Sergio Cardona

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos....e=1&display=15

Well, "I approved a mission over New York," Louis Caldera, director of the White House military office, said in a hastilly-prepared statement. "I apologize...."

Apparently the public not "needing to know" is not now seen with such smugness, but rather a mistake....

Also not clued in, Mayor Bloomberg....
    "I'm annoyed -- furious is a better word -- that I wasn't told," the mayor said.

Bloomberg said a deputy commissioner, whom he would not name but derided as "dumb," failed to inform him that the planned photo shoot.

We just went through this a few years ago, with a Continental Boeing 777 buzzing the Statue with some returning Gulf War soldiers...and at the time, we were told they wouldn't do it again.

But on the other hand, B-17s, Lockheed P-3 Orions and even a B-52 this last summer, have buzzed the harbor before...

The real issue is not alerting the public - simple as that.

Tom
    "Keep 'em Flying"

>The real issue is not alerting the public - simple as that. !!<

Thats the problem - its TOO SIMPLE!!! There was absolutely NO REASON why this had to be kept a secret!! NONE!!
    And from what I heard a few minutes ago on the news the WH Chief of Staff had Louis Caldera, director of the White House
    military office and the guy who approved the mission in his office and from all reports the guy was being reemed
    out BIG TIME!!!!
    People are still freaked out from 9/11 and rightly so. They dont need stupidity like this from people who should know better.

And you know what is ironic, a Cessna flies too close to DC the other day and they go bonkers with lockdowns,
    evacuations, scrambling jets and helicopters but then they do this stunt, not alerting the public and think no one is going to freak out.
    Gotta love our govt. in action.

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/gallery?sec ... 49&photo=1

Nobody realized it was one of the Presidential planes? Nice!

Enthusiast or not, some of those pics by the buildings are rather intimidating.

I saw this when I was in class today. Everything in the class stoped for a couple of minutes when people saw the 'big' plane tailed by the 'small' plane. Everyone rushed to the windows to see it. Most people were saying stuff like 'Oh Sh!t that thing is really close to the Verazzano Bridge".... Then I saw it and was shocked to see AF1 tailed by an F-16.
    Just one of those days I wished I had my camera with me.
    Patrick O --- Staten Island, NY