Thread: Picking a new car---choices, choices,..and the Winner is....

Picking a new car---choices, choices,..and the Winner is....

As some of you may know, I have had ongoing issues with my Infininti M35x for almost a year now--transmission and driveline vibrations they cannot fix, even though the entire drive train has been replaced. After making me a financial compensation offer for my trouble Infiniti/Nissan has renegged, and refused to compensate me at all....so now it is in the hands of my attorney.

That said, the lease is up in August anyway, and I have spent the past few weeks researching and driving new cars...which is always fun for me--but remember I was in the car business for a number of years and any good salesman runs for cover when he sees me coming...

I drove many cars, some of which I loved, and some of which were just ok.....among them were:

Acura TL SH-AWD tech--nice, firm ride, lots of toys, but in the end, can't get past the styling

BMW 535i X drive---loved it, but poor crash test rating, and just outside my financial comfort zone

BMW 335i X drive---just a bit too small, and too fast for JoAnn....otherwise yeah baby....

Audi A6--loved it especially the 3.0L Supercharged 6 but again, tips the limits of the checkbook

so the winner is........

2010 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro....prestige package, plus driver assist and walnut trim....built to order for me..

I drove the 2.0 extensively and compared with the 3.2 V6, and the 4 is actually FASTER.....more torque at lower RPM due to the turbo....the car will be meteor grey pearl with grey interior.....will have HDD Nav with 3d maps and traffic, B&O surround sound system, and all the other toys.........

It was a best buy, offers much better fuel economy than what I am used to, and it really moves.....and being a car guy, I knew how to get a fair deal--walking in knowing invoice price and incentives is the way to go....NEVER negotiate down from list, always up from invoice.

If any of you are in the market for a car, I would be glad to help you negotiate....as I did for Mario a while back.

I just hope these three months go pretty fast...........
    It's the fares, stupid

Re: Picking a new car---choices, choices,..and the Winner is....

Good choice! I'm a big fan of the new A4s....

I've got a 2003 2.7T A6 (had it for about 3 years now), and really enjoy it. Haven't had too many problems (although my secondary air pump just died). They are tough cars to work on though (especially for someone with little automotive experience) but there are some great resources out to help. I'm sure you won't have to worry about that though since you're either leasing or have a warranty with it. The quattro is awesome man!

As long as my quality of life and expenses remain similar, I'm looking to probably trade in for something here in the near future (next year or two). I've been looking at the 5 series beamers along with getting a newer A6/A4 (I'll probably go used (2008 timeframe) since I really can't justify/afford buying a new car)... The A4 is a lot more sporty, but I like the A6 because it's more roomy and has a lot of features the A4s don't.

I do have a question though... I've heard there's is a "window" for trading in used cars when looking to upgrade to something else (i.e. if I wait to long I probably won't maximize my trade-in value vs. what I get thus minimizing out of pocket expenses).
    My car is an 03, and I feel like I'm probably on the backend of the window, when it makes most financial sense to trade it in now and get the most for my trade.
    Is there any truth to this? I'm sure there are many variables that go into the equation, but hopefully the question makes some sense...

Art:
    When do you actually get this car? I may have to make my way up there & see if I can catch a ride in it..

Congradulations. If I can ever afford another car will have to let you know.
    Train as if your life depends on it. Because some day it may.
    Opinions expressed are my own & not those of my employer.

Quote Originally Posted by Art at ISP
    If any of you are in the market for a car, I would be glad to help you negotiate....as I did for Mario a while back.

I just hope these three months go pretty fast...........
    I'll hold you too that..lol

Nice purchase on the audi...very sweet ride...did you get the red one?

Audi's rock. I'd love an A4.

I wish I could afford one :mrgreen:
    Train as if your life depends on it. Because some day it may.
    Opinions expressed are my own & not those of my employer.

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!

Hey Art, can't wait to see the new wheels.

And I have to say how much I appreciated your help with the lease. Mine is up in August too and we're starting right now to have discussions on what to do. I'm leaning toward a hybrid myself and have to also take into consideration our 2001 Altima for wifey.

Choices, choices, as you say!
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

Thanks for the replies--no the car isn't red--it's dark grey pearl. As of now I hope to have it end of July.

Regarding the trade in question, if you have a 2003, you are on the long end of the trade window. assuming the average car gets around 12k miles a year, you are pushing 72k miles on average. I think the trade window means a little less though if you bought the car used....most of the depreciation is in the first 2-3 years...which is good in your case since you apparently bought the car 3 years old.

Car dealers use Galves books to appraise trades--which means $2-3K below Kelly Blue Book on average. If the car has an extended warranty, however, it adds value.

Mario--let me know where and when, buddy......and regarding hybrids, there is a price to pay--and often it does not pay off for just a fuel savings. My wife's RX hybrid is great on gas, but we paid $5K over a normal RX--although I still got a great deal.

Hope this helps...
    It's the fares, stupid

The A4 is a sweet little ride, let us know when you take delivery... we want some pictures :)

Congratulations and best of luck with your new car!
    Patrick O --- Staten Island, NY

Thanks for the kind words, everyone, as I said, the wait is going to be painful.

I'll keep you all posted as to when it is due to arrive.
    It's the fares, stupid