Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Welcome to New York, Swine Flu

Re: Welcome to New York, Swine Flu

The first US death has been reported. A child in Texas has died.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D.
    The child who died was not a U.S Citizen but a Mexican National whose family sought medical care in Texas after the toddler became ill. No U.S citizens have died as a result of this flu.

Good call, Tommy. My news source didn't mention that tidbit.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Well this is pretty important!

World Health Organisation says actual death toll is SEVEN (7), not 150.

A member of the World Health Organisation (WHO) has dismissed claims that more than 150 people have died from swine flu, saying it has officially recorded only seven deaths around the world.

Vivienne Allan, from WHO's patient safety program, said the body had confirmed that worldwide there had been just seven deaths - all in Mexico - and 79 confirmed cases of the disease.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Quote Originally Posted by GothamSpotter
    Well this is pretty important!

World Health Organisation says actual death toll is SEVEN (7), not 150.

A member of the World Health Organisation (WHO) has dismissed claims that more than 150 people have died from swine flu, saying it has officially recorded only seven deaths around the world.

Vivienne Allan, from WHO's patient safety program, said the body had confirmed that worldwide there had been just seven deaths - all in Mexico - and 79 confirmed cases of the disease.
    That is interesting...seems totally contradictory to what the CDC is saying. Maybe they should get together on this.

[quote=T-Bird76]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Phil D.":n9u5yvqr
    The child who died was not a U.S Citizen but a Mexican National whose family sought medical care in Texas after the toddler became ill. No U.S citizens have died as a result of this flu.[/quote:n9u5yvqr]

I also believe the child had underlying health issues to begin with.
    I'm sorry but 40,000 people DIE every year from regular flu so why are we panicking on this one?
    Of course if I turn out to be like Will Smiths character from "I Am Legend" then I take it all back.
    :)

The CDC is taking the numbers as reported by Mexican Officials while the WHO did the review. Many of the deaths had pre-existing conditions which may have been exacerbated by the swine flu but their deaths were not directly from swine flu (if they contracted another form of influenza the outcome could have been the same)
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by emshighway
    The CDC is taking the numbers as reported by Mexican Officials while the WHO did the review. Many of the deaths had pre-existing conditions which may have been exacerbated by the swine flu but their deaths were not directly from swine flu (if they contracted another form of influenza the outcome could have been the same)
    Well the thing is you don't generally die of the disease but from complications of the disease. It's like cancer...most people don't die of the cancer, they die of the complications the cancer causes.

Senior Member Fighting_falcon_51's Avatar

This is so over-hyped its disgusting, now we dont even know what is right or wrong.....its sad.... I guess since the avian flu didnt catch peoples attention the Swine flu is.....

Anyway here is our daily round up from the CDC:
    States
    # of laboratory confirmed cases
    Deaths
    Arizona 1
    California 14
    Indiana 1
    Kansas 2
    Massachusetts 2
    Michigan 2
    Nevada 1
    New York 51
    Ohio 1
    Texas 16 1

TOTAL COUNTS 91 cases 1 death
    http://www.kjpgallery.com << Photography Collection
    http://www.nyasinfo.com << Jones Beach Airshow Information (Updates continue in November)

The W.H.O has just raised the Pandemic threat level to 5 "Wide spread human infection."

Just came across this... JFK Customs workers are not being allowed to wear masks, even when processing flights from Mexico. Their union is understandably upset... it not only puts their employees at risk, but exacerbates the number of people who might be exposed, i.e. if a customs worker gets sick, he can expose his friends, family, co-workers, etc. Here's their website: http://www.nteu153.org/
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

IMO it should be the choice of Customs & other workers as to masks or not. Also I agree with the other poster who said this is way over hyped. I'm more afraid of getting in my car & driving from point A to B than anything else.
    Train as if your life depends on it. Because some day it may.
    Opinions expressed are my own & not those of my employer.

Scientists see this flu strain as relatively mild
    Genetic data indicate this outbreak won't be as deadly as that of 1918, or even the average winter.

As the World Health Organization raised its infectious disease alert level Wednesday and health officials confirmed the first death linked to swine flu inside U.S. borders, scientists studying the virus are coming to the consensus that this hybrid strain of influenza -- at least in its current form -- isn't shaping up to be as fatal as the strains that caused some previous pandemics.

In fact, the current outbreak of the H1N1 virus, which emerged in San Diego and southern Mexico late last month, may not even do as much damage as the run-of-the-mill flu outbreaks that occur each winter without much fanfare.
    http://www.latimes.com/features/health/ ... 6923.story

Senior Member Fighting_falcon_51's Avatar

I dont get the reason why customs workers cant wear mask?

Daily round up:
    Arizona 1
    California 14
    Indiana 1
    Kansas 2
    Massachusetts 2
    Michigan 1
    Nevada 1
    New York 50
    Ohio 1
    South Carolina 10
    Texas 26 1
    TOTAL COUNTS 109 cases 1 death.

Notice how they took "City" away from New York.
    http://www.kjpgallery.com << Photography Collection
    http://www.nyasinfo.com << Jones Beach Airshow Information (Updates continue in November)

Quote Originally Posted by Fighting_falcon_51
    Notice how they took "City" away from New York.
    That's because there have been at least 6 Long Island cases confirmed.