Thread: $200M State-of-the-Art PA Airport Sees Few Travelers

$200M State-of-the-Art PA Airport Sees Few Travelers

Murtha's Earmarks Keep Airport Aloft
    State-of-the-Art Pennsylvania Facility Sees Few Travelers but Lots of Funding

By Carol D. Leonnig
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Sunday, April 19, 2009

JOHNSTOWN, Pa. -- The John Murtha airport sits on a windy mountain two hours east of Pittsburgh, a 650-acre expanse of smooth tarmac, spacious buildings, a helicopter hangar and a National Guard training center.

Inside the terminal on a recent weekday, four passengers lined up to board a flight, outnumbered by seven security staff members and supervisors, all suited up in gloves and uniforms to screen six pieces of luggage. For three hours that day, no commercial or private planes took off or landed. Three commercial flights leave the airport on weekdays, all bound for Dulles International Airport.

The key to the airport's gleaming facilities -- and, indeed, its continued existence -- is $200 million in federal funds in the past decade and the powerful patron who steered most of that money here. Rep. John P. Murtha (D-Pa.) is credited with securing at least $150 million for the airport. It was among the first in the country to win funding from this year's stimulus package: $800,000 to repave a backup runway. [Full Article]
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Re: $200M State-of-the-Art PA Airport Sees Few Travelers

Out numbered by seven security staff members & supervisors. Nuff said, that would keep me away. What a waste of tax dollars.
    Train as if your life depends on it. Because some day it may.
    Opinions expressed are my own & not those of my employer.

Re: $200M State-of-the-Art PA Airport Sees Few Travelers

Its Murtha so I'm not surprised, the guy is a loser.