Thread: 2 Shuttles On Launch Pad At Same Time

2 Shuttles On Launch Pad At Same Time

http://www.nasa.gov/images/content/3310 ... g_full.jpg

Pretty cool.
    Atlantis is scheduled to launch May 12 to service the Hubble Space Telescope and Endeavour is there as a rescue ship
    in case it is needed. When its rescue mission is over it will be prepared for its launch June 13.

Re: 2 Shuttles On Launch Pad At Same Time

That is cool to see. It amazes me that we haven't come up with a better way to send people into space. When you think about it the basic premise hasn't changed for 50 years.

Thats not entirely true. The current shuttle system will be phased out in the next couple of years and we will have to rely on the Russians till our new "Orion" system is in place. The manned module will look somethimg like our old Apollo capsule and the rocket system will use a system like our current shuttles with re-usable boosters.
    "You above all"

Quote Originally Posted by bluejuice
    Thats not entirely true. The current shuttle system will be phased out in the next couple of years and we will have to rely on the Russians till our new "Orion" system is in place. The manned module will look somethimg like our old Apollo capsule and the rocket system will use a system like our current shuttles with re-usable boosters.
    Your statement just proved my point... First off having to rely on the Russians is a total disgrace and second the fact that we are basing our new vehicle on older design is pathetic.

ive been saying that since i first saw pictures of orion.. it bores me, not saying im ever going to loose interest in any space projects, but i dont really see any diffrence between orion or any rocket boeing shoots off every now and then.. yes we can go back to landing on the moon/mars.. but meh.. there is just something exciting when she is coming in for a landing or watching the SRB's seperate..

Way to cool. I've seen that before when I use to live in Fl. & would go to the launches.
    Train as if your life depends on it. Because some day it may.
    Opinions expressed are my own & not those of my employer.

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bird76
    Your statement just proved my point... First off having to rely on the Russians is a total disgrace and second the fact that we are basing our new vehicle on older design is pathetic.
    Have to disagree, I'm not pro Russian but thinking logically with out the Russians Nasa is stuffed as you can't suddenly make a new Saturn 1B and no other nation except China, Russia and USA have manned space flight.

Chineese are to secretive about their space program so the Russians are the only choice.

The older design is a step back, but its been proven to be safe, practical and in Apollo 13s case brought 3 men safely home.

Reminds me of the movie Armageddon when both of the shuttles were on the launch pad.
    From around the 4:00 minute mark onwards.
    Patrick O --- Staten Island, NY

Ac5DCgqKRoE

Cool video and music.

NASA has posted a new 3MB high-res shot of Atlantis.

http://www-pao.ksc.nasa.gov/kscpao/imag ... 9-2772.jpg
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s

Quote Originally Posted by GothamSpotter

nice find dude! lotsa shiny cameras at NASA...
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Quote Originally Posted by GothamSpotter

They couldn't even level the shot? :P