Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 707-300 N88ZL JFK (Pix) 4/7/09

707-300 N88ZL JFK (Pix) 4/7/09

Probably my 1,000th shot of N88ZL but my best one so far.
    Departed 1 hour late. Dying to get a 707 pulling out onto Taxiway "Charlie-Alpha" for ages.

Senga

A word to the wise...keep it under your hat...no one is to know...

Re: 707-300 N88ZL JFK (Pix) 4/7/09

sonofabitch.
    R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    #DeleteThePickleSmoocher
    LETS GO CAPS!
    [URL]http://www.sopicturethis.net[/URL]

When the hell did that get here? I would have loved to shoot it. I guess I'll have to pay attention to FlightAware... :cry:

Great shots, Senga!

A word to the wise...keep it under your hat...no one is to know...

It's blocked from flightaware Moose. It came Sunday night.

Senga, you never cease to amaze. If certain things didn't happen today, I might be happily editing shots of N88ZL.

I'll be watching.
    R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    #DeleteThePickleSmoocher
    LETS GO CAPS!
    [URL]http://www.sopicturethis.net[/URL]

It arrived Sunday night after dark.
    Around 730pm.
    The SP came in at like 6:45pm Sunday.

Senga

Gotta love those smoke trails Senga.

Wish I'd appreciated them more when I was younger and within range of MAN where there were at least 2 707's a day:(

I also regret not getting a flight on the best of the western built "coal burners" a DC8, as well as a BAC 1-11 which operated hourly to LHR, but that was in the days of fixed fares by IATA and joyrides were out of the question in a not very rich family!

Quote Originally Posted by wunaladreamin
    sonofabitch.
    Quoted for truth.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Watchin' EWR from somewhere in the 40.66 x -74.26 range...

Quote Originally Posted by wunaladreamin
    sonofabitch.
    Even this rookie has to second that statement. 44 years old, and still flyin' ain't bad. FWIW too, R/O is Lowa Limited out of Miami Beach. Looks like they've only had it since '86.

Well done, and great catch sir!
    Cheers,
    Matt, W2MJR

Rookie Planespotter/Veteran Railfan
    "The movie should have been called Planes, Trains, & More Planes and Trains! Danged stupid automobiles!" -Anonymous

markg,
    Yes 707 flooded airports..that was before my time. I have to scrap for whatever I can get now. Everytime i see one I know it coudl be my last chance to see one. I could use a newone now. The last one I shot was the Pratt one at KPBG a year ago.

Planesntrains,
    Yea N88ZL isnt super old considering where is is on the line of 707s.
    Just before I shot it the first time they repainted it into this livery.

What kind of trains are you into Planesand trains?
    Senga

Watchin' EWR from somewhere in the 40.66 x -74.26 range...

Quote Originally Posted by SengaB
    markg,
    Planesntrains,
    Yea N88ZL isnt super old considering where is is on the line of 707s.
    Just before I shot it the first time they repainted it into this livery.

What kind of trains are you into Planesand trains?
    Senga
    It's Matt.

Still not bad though from what little I know...40 years old and still flyin'. Of course that's why I'm here...learn things like that fact you just taught me! :D

It's hard to be specific and talk about railroading with people who aren't into. Same as with avaition as I get into it, and as you all well know...you try to explain it to someone and you just get that "uh.....why???" look from them. I can go uber-tech on locomotives and freight cars like I know you all can on just about anything that flys.

Pretty much everything I'm into. Definately not a steam or subway guy though. I was pretty much raised on mainline heavy-haul around Chicago and here in NYC, and mountain railroading in the Alleghenies and Appalachia. Like you guys get a thrill out of watching a 747 heavy on a short take off where he might just come up short...we get that out of a 18,000t coal train with three 4400hp units up front, and four on the rear, climbing on a 1.6% three mile grade, in throttle notch 8 and damn near ready to stall out, a ploom of sand for traction, and zero room for error. More a country boy for sure because of it.

Dad worked 45+ years for the C&O (eventually Chessie System, now CSX) from sweeping station floors in WV when he was 13 up to when he retired as Senior Road Foreman of Engines on his division. It's in the blood.

But back on topic....always been interested in planes. Just finally becoming as equally addicted as I am to my beloved "iron highway".
    Cheers,
    Matt, W2MJR

Rookie Planespotter/Veteran Railfan
    "The movie should have been called Planes, Trains, & More Planes and Trains! Danged stupid automobiles!" -Anonymous

Nice shots!

707 Question - Why is the engine mount on the number 4 engine different than the other three? All the 707's I've seen have this same setup.

Nice catch Senga, I especially like that very smoky departure shot, brings back great memories from my youth watching 707's, 720's, DC-8's and CV-880/990's depart my native TPA.

Quote Originally Posted by m.marra
    Nice shots!

707 Question - Why is the engine mount on the number 4 engine different than the other three? All the 707's I've seen have this same setup.
    N88ZL is unique as it does not have the normal 707 engines, a close look will reveal they are the same as the DC-8-62/63.

And Planesntrains, nice bio, Chessie was a great railroad, I am sure your father had a fascinating career. To bad your not into Steam, my kind of railroading!

Cheers

LGA777

Oh Lordy this is going to be a long repsonse.
    I start with the easiest first.
    About the 707 engine pylon. I have wondered about this for many years msyelf until recently. The other three that look the same are Air Inakes Pylons. They have a small hole in the front of the pylon that revices the air and then is is directed thoughout the aircraft. Its acually just a replacable front cover. I added a shot below here of N88ZL you can see eng 1 and 2 with the air intakes. The second image is of P&W Canada Boeing 720. You can compare them in the shot. Its optional and the number of intake pylons vs the normal one varies from one 707 to another.

Ron, Yes thats true, N88ZL has DC-8 engines. However I have been told that the reason it still smokes as NICELY as it does because it doesn't have same type of filter the normal DC-8 engines would have to suppress it. Peronsally I wish I could have shot N88ZL with the old engines but oh well. When the plane turns away frmo you at the most perfect angle you get that nice dark smoke trail. I love it whe you get a nice turn and you don't even see the plane anymore but the smoke is like all over. Check out N404PA's (MIT's 707) departure out of SWF rwy27.

Planesntrains,
    I will respond to your post next....

Senga

Hey Matt (trainsandplanes),
    I am a rail fan msyelf thats why I asked :)
    I started out in Chicago (I lived there for 6 years). I am not into Subway or Steam either. My main attraction are the types like the Dash 9s and the GP and SD E and F series units. I can appreciate an idling SD40-2 myself you know or a line of SD90s :)

Senga

Quote Originally Posted by SengaB
    Oh Lordy this is going to be a long repsonse.
    I start with the easiest first.
    About the 707 engine pylon. I have wondered about this for many years msyelf until recently. The other three that look the same are Air Inakes Pylons. They have a small hole in the front of the pylon that revices the air and then is is directed thoughout the aircraft. Its acually just a replacable front cover. I added a shot below here of N88ZL you can see eng 1 and 2 with the air intakes. The second image is of P&W Canada Boeing 720. You can compare them in the shot. Its optional and the number of intake pylons vs the normal one varies from one 707 to another.

Ron, Yes thats true, N88ZL has DC-8 engines. However I have been told that the reason it still smokes as NICELY as it does because it doesn't have same type of filter the normal DC-8 engines would have to suppress it. Peronsally I wish I could have shot N88ZL with the old engines but oh well. When the plane turns away frmo you at the most perfect angle you get that nice dark smoke trail. I love it whe you get a nice turn and you don't even see the plane anymore but the smoke is like all over. Check out N404PA's (MIT's 707).

Planesntrains,
    I will respond to your post next....

Senga