Thread: Gates Recommends Ending Key Military Aircraft Projects

Gates Recommends Ending Key Military Aircraft Projects

Defense Secretary Robert Gates today has laid out some recommendations for drastic cost cutting moves at the Pentagon.

Marine One/VH-71 program ($13 billion): Scrapped

Boeing Airborne Laser: Will not be expanded beyond the single test vehicle they have now.

F-22: Orders will not be expanded after current order of 187 aircraft is filled.

More details to come.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s

Re: Gates Recommends Ending Key Military Aircraft Projects

i've got to agree with scrapping the airborne laser and the current VH-71 proposals. they should also just buy 767 tankers!
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

We'll see if all these things really happen. There couldn't be much worse a time to layoff tens of thousands of people.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Senior Member Fighting_falcon_51's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GothamSpotter
    Defense Secretary Robert Gates today has laid out some recommendations for drastic cost cutting moves at the Pentagon.

Marine One/VH-71 program ($13 billion): Scrapped

Boeing Airborne Laser: Will not be expanded beyond the single test vehicle they have now.

F-22: Orders will not be expanded after current order of 187 aircraft is filled.

More details to come.
    Marine One/VH-71 program ($13 billion): Scrapped- Good

Boeing Airborne Laser: Will not be expanded beyond the single test vehicle they have now.- I liked the idea but we can wait

F-22: Orders will not be expanded after current order of 187 aircraft is filled.- OK between that and the F-35's and Silent eagles we should be good.
    http://www.kjpgallery.com << Photography Collection
    http://www.nyasinfo.com << Jones Beach Airshow Information (Updates continue in November)

More...
    * F-35 program will be expanded from 14 planes to 30

* Cutting the ground component of Boeing's Future Combat System for the Army

* Scrapping a $15 billion replacement program for USAF search and rescue choppers

* Aerial tanker replacement bids will go on as planned this spring. At this point I would imagine Boeing will be the only bidder.

Senior Member Fighting_falcon_51's Avatar

More...

* Cutting the ground component of Boeing's Future Combat System for the Army

* Scrapping a $15 billion replacement program for USAF search and rescue choppers

* Aerial tanker replacement bids will go on as planned this spring. At this point I would imagine Boeing will be the only bidder.
    F-35 program will be expanded from 14 planes to 30-Very good

* Cutting the ground component of Boeing's Future Combat System for the Army-eh, no

* Scrapping a $15 billion replacement program for USAF search and rescue choppers- Very bad we need those

* Aerial tanker replacement bids will go on as planned this spring. At this point I would imagine Boeing will be the only bidder.- They should go with the northdrop one.
    http://www.kjpgallery.com << Photography Collection
    http://www.nyasinfo.com << Jones Beach Airshow Information (Updates continue in November)

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s

while not as good as straight F-22s, i think i could live with that idea.

maybe we ought to just buy more MH-60s... i like that idea!

Boeing ought to be the only bidder. IMO the KC-30 is unecesary.
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

More...

USAF search and rescue choppers, why not the V-22?
    Aerial tanker, go for more KC-10s.