Thread: New Charter Airline to Serve Islip

New Charter Airline to Serve Islip

New charter airline to begin flying out of MacArthur

BY JENNIFER MALONEY | [email protected]
    10:03 PM EDT, April 5, 2009

Long Island MacArthur Airport will welcome a new charter airline in June, an addition that could help boost sagging passenger numbers, airport officials said.

PublicCharters.com, based in Pennsylvania, will operate much like a commercial airline, with summer flights to Nantucket, Mass., and Groton, Conn., available online and through travel agents, said Jim Gallagher, president of the company.

The airline also is considering adding fall and spring flights to Myrtle Beach, S.C., he said. [Full Article]
    Their website, http://www.publicharters.com seems to indicate that it's just a paper airline so far. Odd that Newsday didn't seek a quote from airport officials. :roll:
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Re: New Charter Airline to Serve Islip

Quote Originally Posted by GothamSpotter
    Odd that Newsday didn't seek a quote from airport officials. :roll:
    From the article you quoted:

Airport commissioner Teresa Rizzuto, who wooed the charter company, said the added destinations would attract new passengers - and help put MacArthur on the radar of other airlines. "Delays at the Port Authority airports, they're getting worse and worse," she said. "I'm excited that we're going to get additional passengers through our airport to see how great it is."

Quote Originally Posted by moose135
    Quote Originally Posted by GothamSpotter
    Odd that Newsday didn't seek a quote from airport officials. :roll:
    From the article you quoted:

Airport commissioner Teresa Rizzuto, who wooed the charter company, said the added destinations would attract new passengers - and help put MacArthur on the radar of other airlines. "Delays at the Port Authority airports, they're getting worse and worse," she said. "I'm excited that we're going to get additional passengers through our airport to see how great it is."
    Oh, that quote....oops. :)
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

The destinations they plan on serving don't seem to be anything to write home about and I can' see demand for those cities being all to high. Their website indicates they plan on using SkyKing 732s which would be cool to see if they bring them into ISP. However this is not the kind of service ISP needs and the airport really needs to get some regional carries like COEX, ASA/Comair (back), or AE (back).

I went down there and watched the landing...looked uneventful :borat:

On a side note, I do not think any FD IN Suffolk was left out....they were calling everyone!
    Had there been a crash, they would have been mad had they not done what they were doing, but
    watching the War of Fire Engines was amazing! Lot of our tax dollars at work, I hope they
    keep it up!
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

Quote Originally Posted by Derf
    I went down there and watched the landing...looked uneventful
    Wrong thread, Fred...

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=15492

Going to be interesting; they are trying to call themselves a "charter" but have a regular schedule.
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan