Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Warbird Crash Off Mastic Beach

Re: Warbird Crash Off Mastic Beach

I was in New Jersey shooting much of the afternoon and evening, and missed the news - I was stunned when Fred called to tell me about Bob. I've had the pleasure of getting to know Bob and Chris over the past few years. Bob was always a gentleman, a true professional. My thoughts and prayers are with his family tonight.

We also had a bird on location searching. Rest in Peace Sir!

I was so shocked when I heard about this on Fox 5. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

Patrick O --- Staten Island, NY

Hi every one my name is dan I have been a long time fan of nycaviation and thought that i would join the group I have my private pilots licence and I work at nassau flyers @ FRG 4 about 2 years now. I heard about the P-40 crash yesterday @ work sad to hear that thought I would post some pic from last years airshow. I think that plane just got a new engine recently also, My pic wont be as good a fredd's. I have lots of pic of when i go flying over the years i will post some of them also over time.

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." -

WELCOME DAN!!! Good to see you! That was after he blew an oil hose clamp on his engine over Jones Beach...He
    leaned out the side to see where the oil was coming from and the slipstream pulled his helmet
    off his head and ripped it off somewhere over Massapequa. He came back but was fast on approach, and after the
    aircraft floated, bounced and still wanted to fly, he added power. Moose and I were in the old
    control tower and I know I was screaming power because we knew he was not at your typical goaround
    power. He came in and landed. Later we were talking and he was telling me how he kept the airspeed up because I did
    not think the engine would make it. I seemed all the Cool Pilot who could handle anything
    and to see in is eyes is to see the pure Joy he got from aviaiton, and getting to do it with his son Chris.
    I almost was not sure if he wanted to see the pictures until I said "Bob, I have never taken a cooler picture of a Great
    Pilot"..... Jones Beach 08 Airshow in the Hangar of the American Airpower

The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

When things like this happen, you get sad, but when it happens to someone you know, and are so used to seeing come this time of year, it hurts a little more. My prayers go out to his family, and friends. Here is another from last year's emergency landing at FRG.

It's so bittersweet that this has to be the first photo I get published, it was today's Newsday front page. :(

Senior Member Fighting_falcon_51's Avatar

Any info yet? Is the NTSB or anyone investigating?
    http://www.kjpgallery.com << Photography Collection
    http://www.nyasinfo.com << Jones Beach Airshow Information (Updates continue in November)

Yes, the NTSB will be investigating the crash. When there is appropriate information released you will most likely see it posted. Until then, I wouldn't expect much speculation or conjecture.

Quote Originally Posted by moose135
    Yes, the NTSB will be investigating the crash. When there is appropriate information released you will most likely see it posted. Until then, I wouldn't expect much speculation or conjecture.
    Wow, what a shame I took all those times he flew for granted... the warbirds changed the website in memory of him http://www.warbirdsoverlongisland.com/
    http://www.nyasinfo.com << Jones Beach Airshow Information (Updates continue in November)

Just watched John Wayne in "The Flying Tigers" who flew P-40s in China against the Japanese.
    Condolences to all family and friends.

Quote Originally Posted by lijk604
    When things like this happen, you get sad, but when it happens to someone you know, and are so used to seeing come this time of year, it hurts a little more. My prayers go out to his family, and friends. Here is another from last year's emergency landing at FRG.

It's so bittersweet that this has to be the first photo I get published, it was today's Newsday front page. :(
    http://www.newsday.com/news/local/suffo ... 9642.story

Is that one of AAM's planes?

It always breaks my heart when we lose an avaitor but this one is particularly hard. I never met the man but have seen him fly a few times locally and always enjoyed the show.

RIP.
    EVERYONE IS THERE TO SEE THE SHERPA!

This is so sad. Like many here, I had the priviledge of meeting him and his son and both were so very kind and it was great to see people who had such passion for aviation, and where so eager to share that with everyone around them.

The deepest condolences to his family.

If anyone learns of memorial/funeral arrangements, please post it.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

[quote="Nick"]We also had a bird on location searching.

On News12 they had footage of a dark colored JetRanger flying in the crash area. Was that a private ship that came out
    to help?