Thread: Would You Desert A Friend If You Found Out.....

Would You Desert A Friend If You Found Out.....

There is a local aviation enthusiast in my area, who recently came out and told some of the other spotters in the area, he is Gay. And now, these guys who have known him for a couple of years, will have nothing to do with him.

I have called him to go spotting, and he will not due to this, due to the coldness of the others. This has me infuriated

How would you handle this situation

Re: Would You Desert A Friend If You Found Out.....

Honestly, a very significant percentage of aviation enthusiasts are gay. Most people know this, and I'm surprised that other enthusiasts would be surprised. also, in this day and age, it's a shame that people could act that way to begin with.

Unless there is something more personal to the story for the people who rejected him. Maybe somethign happened that they felt their trust betrayed or violated. Who knows.

As for your situation, it is a shame your friend feels that way, but I would shoot him a note and say that you're glad to be his friend and that you'll be ready to hang out with him whenever he is ready. He just needs some time I'm sure.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

He's better off without them in his life. The reality is they probably were never his friends to begin with. I'd ask him to join you for a drink, food or w/e and talk about it. No reason for him to give up something he likes for some morons.

Phil...okay this is Ohio, almost southern Ohio (Deliverance theme playing in the background)

No, these guys are just very homophobic, that is why I keep it to myself around them, I am Gay, and are very rude to the poor guy, who is only 23

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!

Haven't you and he ever heard of "Don't ask Dont tell?"

I'm playing. In all absolute seriousness, you've answered your own question. You're in backass bumbleef$#% Ohio so you can't expect any better.

You guys just need to do your own thing and let the homophobes fondle themselves.
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

Damn that is kind of cold. While I'm not gay, I know several guys (and girls) who are gay, and while they may act a certain way, or have a certain demeanor, in the end they are just people, and are usually really nice, good people.

It's close mindedness and ignorance that makes people discriminate against others solely based on sexual preference. A lot of it has to do with the way those people were brought up, and what ideals were ingrained in them from early childhood. I think that people who are homophobic have certain personal insecurities they can't handle.

I know, this is tough. I am not close friends with these people, I see them every once in awhile, and I do not know what to tell this poor guy, because basically he is scared to go spotting, due to what these guys said to him after he told them.

I was not around, nor am I moderator of the group any longer that these people belong too, but if I was this would not have been tolerated. I just hate to see this guy loose what he loves to do due their ignorance.

I know how I would handle this, but it is the wrong way, so I am just trying to get some different outlooks

Thank you for your input, I very much appreciate it

Personally I could care less what a person's orientation is. There are friends I have met out spotting, or at work, who I later found out they were gay. Did it bother me? Not a bit...everyone needs to find their own happiness in this world, and who am I to judge. As long as we respect each other's personal beliefs I have no issues with anyone.

I have a lot of friends who happen to be gay. Doesn't bother me at all. The only time it became a problem was hanging out in a bar. I didn't have to worry about the guys, no competition there but damn the girls are competitive!!!
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

Unfortunately, there are still many small-minded people in the world, even in these "enlightened" times. The best thing you can do for your friend is simply be a friend. Invite him to go spotting, either just the two of you, or with some others who do accept him, grab some lunch, or just hang out together. Anything to let him know you're a friend.

A while back a good friend of mine told me he was gay, and it didn't make any difference to me - we still go spotting, have dinner, just hang out together, and he is still a good friend.

Quote Originally Posted by mirrodie
    You guys just need to do your own thing and let the homophobes fondle themselves.
    Post of the week!

[quote="Phil D."]Honestly, a very significant percentage of aviation enthusiasts are gay.

You've done extensive research on this? :lol: :lol:

Seriously though it is pretty sad. I work with gay men/women, my wifes aunt and a cousin are gay and I have a
    cousin who is gay. Homophobia like racism and sexism will be around until people develop tolerance and understanding
    of each other. Too bad I wont see it in my lifetime.

See I am like this, I have seen this all before and they can kiss my poor whiite A**. But I think it is this poor guys first time ever dealing with the people who are intolerant.

Well actually, one of my "friends" who was suppose to go to ATL with me in Sept cancelled on me, when he found out I was Gay. He would not feel comfortable sharing a room with me. He asked me why I was never married and single, so I told him.

But you get use to some of the people's thinking and just go with it