Thread: NYC Airport Security Alert?

NYC Airport Security Alert?

I just heard something that all flights in and out of NYC airports are grounded and police are boarding aircraft. Sure enough, LGA has been landing on 4 for a few hours but I haven't heard any planes in awhile.

Anyone know anything about this?
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Re: NYC Airport Security Alert?

It seems LGA switched to the rare ILS/LOC 13 approach, which explains why I haven't heard any planes...and Passur seems to show normal arrival activity...but no departures. This could be due to the line of strong t-storms heading at us from the west, but...hmmmm.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Senior Member Fighting_falcon_51's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GothamSpotter
    I just heard something that all flights in and out of NYC airports are grounded and police are boarding aircraft. Sure enough, LGA has been landing on 4 for a few hours but I haven't heard any planes in awhile.

I heard some where Homeland security raised the level, I cant confirm though.
    http://www.kjpgallery.com << Photography Collection
    http://www.nyasinfo.com << Jones Beach Airshow Information (Updates continue in November)

Watchin' EWR from somewhere in the 40.66 x -74.26 range...

Things were slow at EWR, but nothing was terribly unusual other than the weather. Family and I sat down and ate at Ikea after shopping and got a pretty decent show. Didn't look like anything was being held as of 18:50h though.
    Cheers,
    Matt, W2MJR

Rookie Planespotter/Veteran Railfan
    "The movie should have been called Planes, Trains, & More Planes and Trains! Danged stupid automobiles!" -Anonymous

Nothing DHS related. I would say weather related. The only thing going on is one flight came back to the gate at LGHA due to a women having an anxiety attack.
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

[quote="emshighway"]Nothing DHS related. I would say weather related.

Storms stretch from Albany to Atlantic City and look pretty nasty on the radar. Lots of orange and yellow. Saw one report of 60MPH
    winds. Looks like they are in Queens now heading my way (EB).

EWR was a parking lot tonight because of the storms. Very few departures getting out til about 8pm.

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s

Quote Originally Posted by njgtr82
    EWR was a parking lot tonight because of the storms. Very few departures getting out til about 8pm.
    same here at LGA. i actually closed my company's ramp for almost 45 minutes tonight due to the wx. we're still recovering from it all at this hour.
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

It has been an absolute cluster ***k tonight. Seperately CBP was all over 1/2 the fleet, PAPD was in everyones way in several places, then visibility that was holding at roughly half a mile suddenly drops to 0/0, it then goes up and down for the next 2 hours while the other 1/2 of the fleet diverts around the Northeast, and as it finally clears again the thunderstorm hits. During the fog the field hit full gridlock as somehow departing and arriving traffic ended up routed together around the field bringing things to a complete standstill. We still have planes that landed over an hour ago taxiing around. My personal favorite was 20.00 when a NW 319 coming out of the IAT gets cleared onto A but has to stop as it is now stuck the the AA 777 or the aircraft coming the other up A into the IAT. So that leaves A at a stand still and NW now blocking both A and KK with 3 aircraft behind him waiting to come out. Epic, epic fail tonight.
    Flight Schedule / flight sched·ule / (noun) - An entertaining work of fiction.

It seems LGA switched to the rare ILS/LOC 13 approach, which explains why I haven't heard any planes...and Passur seems to show normal arrival activity...but no departures. This could be due to the line of strong t-storms heading at us from the west, but...hmmmm.
    I noticed that LGA was using 13 this morning as well while departures were on 4 while I was listening to my scanner.
    Sergio has been a huge Delta Air Lines fan since 1992!!

Sergio Cardona

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos....e=1&display=15

>, and as it finally clears again the thunderstorm hits. <

A very nasty 15 minutes here in Eastern Nassau. Usual thunder and lightning approaching in the distance then hail
    starts dropping like crazy then torrential rain, wind more hail.....then blows out to the east.
    The hail is scary because I start thinking how hail always seems to precede tornadoes and then I turn on the Weather
    Channel to get an update on this storm....and they are doing a TORNADO SPECIAL!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I just heard about this, and saw this in another thread, which might be the situation being referred to:

In another incident this weekend at JFK airport, a 60-year-old British citizen waiting for two hours on the tarmac onboard a Las Vegas bound Delta flight was arrested for openi ng the emergency exit door Sunday evening.

The man, Robert McDonald, of Glasgow, Scotland, had been on the plane since it flew in from Rome and apparently wanted out, according to a law enforcement source. Instead he was arrested and charged with reckless endangerment and criminal tampering. He had opened the door but the crew stopped him before the plane's emergency chute was deployed.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].