Thread: Ferry Company May Sue US Airways to Recoup 1549 Rescue Costs

Ferry Company May Sue US Airways to Recoup 1549 Rescue Costs

NY Waterways, the ferry company whose boats rescued most of the passengers from US Airways flight 1549's splashdown in the Hudson, says it is preparing a lawsuit against the airline to recover costs incurred during the rescue and its aftermath.

After the US Airways crash landing, NY Waterway was unable to operate some of its routes for nearly 48 hours. In addition, it paid employees overtime and incurred other expenses that it’s still assessing as it prepares its claim against the carrier. Apart from the monetary issue, Mr. Imperatore is miffed that the airline’s senior officials have yet to acknowledge his company’s role.
    Story: http://blogs.wsj.com/middleseat/2009/03 ... t-carrier/
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!

Re: Ferry Company May Sue US Airways to Recoup 1549 Rescue Costs

Its unbelievable. Did they try to sue NYC after 9-11? NO.

But b/c their company is loosing money, they want to sue the airline??

Real classy heroes there! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Having heard the US airways crew repeatedly thank them, they deserve nothing more.

I hope a good judge pisses on the case.
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s

Quote Originally Posted by mirrodie
    I hope a good judge pisses on the case.
    if i were judge i'd dismiss it only after making the ferry company pay for Cactus' legal fees...
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

I wonder if they first ASKED US Airways to help recover the cost. If they wanted money, that's one thing, but to escalate to LAWSUIT before even ASKING is shockingly rude.

Not to mention that if NY Waterways' ridership didn't go up after all of that amazing advertising all over the news, then they are doomed to fail anyway. For them to say that US Airways didn't acknowledge them is ridiculous.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Under Admiralty Maritime Salvage laws the Ferry companies are entitled to 10% to 50% of the assesed value of the A320 since once the vessel (i.e. A320) goes into distress it can be salvaged by anyone who arrives on scene. This is the case on the open seas....I'm not sure if this is the case when it comes to Intercostal waterways, I think it is from what I remember from my law classes.

However they cannot sue for operating costs incurred and lost during the rescue mission because under the same Admiralty Maritime Laws any Commercial vessel that can respond to a vessel in distress is obligated to do so. If they are suing for money lost because of a rescue mission they aren't going to see a dime. However if the suit involves a salvage issue they might see some money.