Thread: Mumbai Control Tower

Mumbai Control Tower

I hope this is the correct forum as it is aviation-related. In the Oscar winning film "Slumdog Millionaire", near the beginning, a small aircraft is shown landing and the kids cheer as it passes overhead. Only people like us who are aviation-minded would even realize that the Mumbai International Airport is nearby. The Control Tower is clearly shown in the distance, too. I searched on a city map and sure enough, the film was correct, the International Airport is only a flew miles from the slums of Dharavi.

Where the PARK routing crosses the Expressway Visual 31

Re: Mumbai Control Tower

There was a New Yorker article a few weeks ago about the slums that immediately surround the airport there, talking mostly about how kids steal scrap metal from the various construction sites and resell it for very small sums of money.

[UPDATE: It's the February 23 issue; the one with the A-Rod cartoon on the cover]

Quote Originally Posted by Speedbird1
    I hope this is the correct forum as it is aviation-related. In the Oscar winning film "Slumdog Millionaire", near the beginning, a small aircraft is shown landing and the kids cheer as it passes overhead. Only people like us who are aviation-minded would even realize that the Mumbai International Airport is nearby. The Control Tower is clearly shown in the distance, too. I searched on a city map and sure enough, the film was correct, the International Airport is only a flew miles from the slums of Dharavi.
    Werent they playing on the runways and the police came to chase them away?

My posting could be wrong. I read that the slum scenes were actually filmed at Juhu, a suburb of Mumbai. It so happens that the village of Juhu also has its own airport (VAJJ). However, the control tower shown was very tall and probably Mumbai International. Incidentally, the raid scene wasn't to chase kids off the runway but was part of a Hindi-Muslim riot.

>Incidentally, the raid scene wasn't to chase kids off the runway but was part of a Hindi-Muslim riot.[/quote]<

*SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS*******

I believe the first scene was the kids being chased off the runway they were playing on and the riot was a later scene
    where the main characters mother was killed. In between was the great scene where the main character was locked in
    the outhouse and jumped into the outhouse pit so he could get out and see the famous celebrity who just landed in his Agusta
    helicopter.