Thread: DSLR's and security check

DSLR's and security check

Guys just a quick question-
    When going through security at the airport, is there any reason I should be worried about sending my camera through the x-ray machine? I know it can affect physical film but I am completely oblivious on x-rays affects on the camera's electronics/sd cards.

Cheers,
    N186BD
    My life's motto- ambitious but rubbish.

Re: DSLR's and security check

No, x-rays should have no effect.

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s

i've had TSA ask to put my camera through the x-ray outside of it's bag, same as with my laptop but the machinery itself should have no ill effect on the camera.
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Official answer: The radiation emitted from a TSA checkpoint X-Ray is 50 times less than a checst X-ray. The TSA X-Rays will not cause any problem to your DSLR. The only film which may become a problem is 1800 ISO and above.
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

Thanks for the help guys!

N186BD
    My life's motto- ambitious but rubbish.

Never had a problem with x-ray machines checking my 35mm film and SLR camera.

You have no worries, X-rays even at high dose amounts have no solid effect on electronic devices, unless they stay in the beam for an extend period of time and those used at airports are very low powered, around 30 to 50 KVP. In comparison the x-ray you get at your dentist or doctor is far higher powered at 70 KVP and above. You'll also get more radiation exposure flying NY to LA..Infact you'll receive on average 2500 milirems of ionizing radiation (the kind that kills cells) from that flight, which is far higher then anything you'll get at a Doctor or Dentist's office.