Thread: What Should I Do?

What Should I Do?

I know that 'the photographer' is what makes the difference in a shot. But you can't help but say that the equipment pays a big role in it too. I've been looking to upgrade my 70-300 Vr to something better. I keep thinking of Canon's 100-400 L USM, which is one gem of a lens. I've seem so many great photo taken with it. The only thing that Nikon makes that is close to that is the 200-400 F4 which goes for around $5,000.

For this airshow season my gear is:
    D300 & D200
    Nikon 300mm F4 AF-s
    Nikon 70-300 VR
    Nikon 18-200 VR.

I know I'm heavily invest in the Nikon system but I'm wondering if the switch is worth it. Canon also has the 1.6 crop factor which is a plus for any type of far away photography.
    What do you think I should do, do you think I should sell all my gear and switch systems (to Canon) just for the 100-400?
    Any opinions?
    Patrick O --- Staten Island, NY

Program Coordinator

Re: What Should I Do?

No. I've seen many great images from Nikon users. Check out http://www.flickr.com/photos/smartjunco/ for what a Nikon can do. Much of the shot comes down to the skill of the photographer in editing, composing, panning, etc. But a lot of it, especially with our work, is luck. The lighting, the heat haze, the weather, the fences, these are all things beyond our control that regularly get in our way and can ruin, like heat haze can and does, an entire days worth of work.
    Equipment plays a big part too, but Nikon makes good equipment.
    Have you considered the 80-400VR?

Yea I've looked into the 80-400VR but it is no where near as fast as the 100-400 USM.
    The other option in Nikon's lineup would be a 70-200 + 1.4 TC but thats a bit on the short end.

the Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 VR + TC-17E II is a much better combo, check out kenrockwell.com, he said the teleconverter only drops about 1 f stop, if I am not mistaken...

Depends on how much you like Nikon.

Canon and Nikon have their good and bad points, both are just as good as each other.

The Canon 100-400 is a brilliant lens but if all your gear is currently Nikon i'd say stick with it and buy the 80-400VR (as thats Nikon's version of the Canon), it will be cheaper than having to sell all your Nikon stuff (and get less money for it than you bought it for) just for a Canon lens.

As for the 1.6 crop thats for normal digital SLRs, if you got the top of the range Canon EOS 1D or 1Ds they are full frame (same as 35mm SLRs).

If you want a newer camera get the Nikon D3 or D3X as they have 50 Auto focus points = camera can "see" a lot more, but it costs an arm and a leg.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetinder

As for the 1.6 crop thats for normal digital SLRs, if you got the top of the range Canon EOS 1D or 1Ds they are full frame (same as 35mm SLRs).

Lol unforunatly Nikon DSLR's only offer a 1.5 crop factor.

I am a Nikon user, LOL, for over 20 years. I currently am using a D200 that is at it's 100,000 shutter actuation life. I am debating between the D300 (DX sensor) and the D700 (FX Sensor Full Frame). Any feedback on the D300 would be appriciated.

As far as lenses are concerned I carry a large variety of them, including the 80-400VR.

When I first really got into airshows a few years ago I had a D70 and then a D200 and my longest lense at the time was a 70-200. Not nearly long enough for Jones Beach. So I got a 2x teleconverter for my Sigma 70-200 2.8. Losing the two stops wasn't bad but the image quality drop off was very noticeable.

I then got a 70-300HSM VR Nikkor. Great fast lense, but still just a little short for most air shows. Following season I tried the 70-300 with the 1.4TC but it had auto focus problems and hunted too much. So I used the 70-300 without the TC and got good results but was still not satisfied.

So I pulled the trigger on the 80-400VR. Yes it is a little slow at times, but for the most part once you lock onto a plane and pan with it it works great. Extremely sharp and extremley clear. Plus you are ususally at the longest focus length so the hunting stops.

All the pictures in this album were taken with the 80-400 at Rhode Island http://fredkopf.smugmug.com/gallery/751 ... 3339_ebLCW
    and all of these http://fredkopf.smugmug.com/gallery/639 ... 6851_ZTdLs from Republic and some of the Raptor http://fredkopf.smugmug.com/gallery/723 ... 4684_fgMRB from Jones Beach.

I have no regrets about it at all.

Of course having Nikon Aquistion Syndrome I picked up a 300mm F2.8 for sports which I am thinking of trying with the 1.4TC but it is a big piece of glass.

The other option is Sigma has an 80-400OS HSM lense that has received some good reviews.

Any other questions feel free to ask.
    http://fredkopf.smugmug.com

Ahh Fred, very nice I've seen some of your work before hand, excellent work.
    Well going back to the D300, its a great camera and I love every bit of it. I justed picked up a D200 from Best Buy since they were on sale for $599. And there is a big difference between the D200 and D300. It simply can't compare. 51 point AF vs. 9 or 11 point AF thats not even a competition. But if you are thinking about the D300 go for it, you won't be disappointed.

Thanks for the compliment, I appriciate it very much. Good luck with your decision. If you are ever out on Long Island or are going to be around Republic let me know, you are more than welcome to try out the 80-400 VR. Looks like it is going to be the D300 for me, I just can't come up with the extra $$ for the D700 now.
    http://fredkopf.smugmug.com