Thread: First Lesson at Essex County/Caldwell [KCDW]

First Lesson at Essex County/Caldwell [KCDW]

I took control of a plane for the first time in my life. It was quite fun. :borat: I still regret not bringing the camera; the only shots I have from today are from my cell phone.

Also, on my way back into hangar I spotted someone who looked like a spotter with a huge Canon L lens. I asked my instructor who that was and if he were a spotter, and she replied that he was a spotter, took amazing photos, that his name was Mike, and has a website.

I don't know if he's a member of NYCA, but I checked JP.net, and it looks like threeholerglory has a couple pictures from KCDW.

So I don't know if it was you, threeholerglory, but I walked into the AvantAir hangar around 2:40PM and that's when I spotted the behemoth white lens that must be visible from at least half a mile away.

Re: First Lesson at Essex County/Caldwell [KCDW]

Congrats on getting some PIC time! You'll never go back now. :)

That's probably Mike you saw. He works at Avantair.

Best of luck to ya! Have fun and be safe up there.
    Patrick O --- Staten Island, NY

Thanks, guys. I really can't wait to go back, and if I see Mike again, I'll give him a shout.

Congrats on taking the first step! I'm flying out of MMU these days, so I'm basically right next door.
    Phil Gengler - NYCA's "other Phil"

Actually, Morristown along with Lincoln Park are other airports I'm considering. I'm trying to find a school that'll offer somewhat of a package, instead of needing me to pay $200 for each hour every time I go.

Quote Originally Posted by heeshung
    Actually, Morristown along with Lincoln Park are other airports I'm considering. I'm trying to find a school that'll offer somewhat of a package, instead of needing me to pay $200 for each hour every time I go.
    $200/hr wet with an instructor isn't all that unreasonable these days. This obviously depends on the airplanes being used and the quality of instruction at the flight school. The flight school where I got my private now charges about $200/hr with a CFI for a brand new C172 Nav III.

Good luck. Keep the blue up, brown down.

Best,
    Jason
    Jason
    CFI/CFII
    Part 135 Dispatch

When I was looking at schools (about this time a year ago) it seemed like most of the schools were hourly; even the ones that offer a package only offer that for so many hours and beyond that you're paying by the hour. American Flyers at Morristown was one of the package ones.

I ended up doing my training at Somerset (SMQ); it was (and as of a few months ago, remained) $89/hour wet for a Piper Cherokee plus $30/hour for the instructor's time. The planes are old and they show it but they work fine and I never had any issues with them.
    Phil Gengler - NYCA's "other Phil"

Thanks, guys. I think I've settled with Mac Dan at KCDW, which offers C172N and C172P's at $95 an hour, and C172SP's at $135. The instructor is $40/hr.

I'd highly recommend Mercer County Community College's flight school (you need not be enrolled in the college). I did my commercial and instrument training there. If you can make the commute, their 152s (which are probably the best 152's out there) are at 98 an hour, with instructors being 25 if I am not mistaken.

Heeshung - feel free to PM me if you're going to be in the area, if I'm not working I'd be more than happy to show you around...behemouth white lens in hand.
    Have you ever seen a grown man naked?

From where I live to the college is 57 miles, and to KTTN is 83. KCDW seems to be a better choice at 16 miles.