Thread: US Giving Soft Drinks for Free Again?

US Giving Soft Drinks for Free Again?

You heard it here first: US Airways plans to reverse its decision to charge for soft drinks, water and coffee.

The airline plans to tell employees tomorrow and announce it publicly Monday, I'm told. They will go back to being free on March 1.

The airline, the most aggressive on the fee front, has repeatedly said the charges for soft drinks haven't been a big money raiser.

But they said have made the aisles less clogged and let flight attendants provide better service. Still, it is the only major airline charging for non-alcoholic beverages and flight attendants were never thrilled with the idea.

Last year, the Tempe airline reversed its controversial decision to eliminat bonus mileage for frequent fliers after no peers matched.

Stay tuned for more info.
    It's a rumor, but maybe its true.
    In loving memory of Casey Edward Falconer
    May 16, 1992-May 9, 2012

Re: US Giving Soft Drinks for Free Again?

I have every reason to believe this info is accurate and expect a public announcement on Monday morning. This is great news and I hope US words the reasoning as we made a mistake and not blame on the economy.

I am also hearing unconfirmed reports that their may be new premium beverages for sale as part of the annoucement, Starbucks products is one I am hearing.

Regards

LGA777

Re: US Giving Soft Drinks for Free Again?

Yes the press release was made this morning-effective March 1st soft drinks are free.

It is not the end of nickel and diming however, but it is a step in the right direction. The unfortunate part is how long it took for them to see they were wrong, and the release makes excuses rather than an admission of having been wrong.

Dougie says that the employees were "distracted" from their first place on time performance by a policy which no other major implemented, placing them at a "disadvantage".

Personally, I think it is 4 months too late, and that the majority of elite level FF's have moved on to other carriers. Personally, I spent $37K on air travel last year for business, plus about $8K for personal travel with family. US Airways' share of that was exactly $412.

Sad since I was Chairmans Preferred with them for over 7 years...
    It's the fares, stupid