Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Photography 101 - Making of a better photographer

Photography 101 - Making of a better photographer

To better each other, I would like to bring up a question, do you guys think of the rule of thirds when you shoot?

(a Great photographer once told me that it does not matter if you give an SLR or a point and shoot or a disposable
    camera, you will get a great picture becuause you do not need a good camera to take a great picture, you only
    need the ability to frame the image... if you use rule of thirds to take every picture, you will hardly every find were
    a centered image is better than an image where the rule of thirds is properly applied) ((Aviation is a little different
    only for shots you want accepted to airliners or Jetphots))

THIS has been the influence on everything I do with a shutter button

Every time I pick up the camera, I go really fast thru a few quick things but always find that the rule of thirds is the
    one thing that makes my style.

The lesson that changed me was when I was asked to take every picture for the next month using rule of thirds and
    there will never be a picture that will be centered and look much better than the picture using rule of thirds (unless
    you are framing). I worked for 3 weeks and finally found a centered image that looked better. When I took it to the
    photographer, he smiled and said....How many pictures did you take before you were able to get a better one? and
    then told me that every rule in photography must be broken to become a great photographer....I am still trying

Do you use rule of thirds, can you show us one example and explain why you feel it is rule of thirds?

Here is one of my shots

Horizon is a bit high for rule of thirds but the wheel is on the left 1/3 and the tower is on the right 1/3rd and framing
    was also applied a tiny bit.

Here is more info on rule of thirds if you do not know of this, please let me know if this is worth it and I should
    continue. If you do not agree, please post....This should be a learning thread for me to and I am trying to learn off
    of this thread too.

Rule of thirds
    http://www.megapixel.net/html/articles/composition.php
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

Re: Photography 101 - Making of a better photographer

Good Information...

I learned something...what about us who started within aviation, and now want to take this photography thing even further?

People? Wildlife? Nature?

Thanks

This is more about non aviation but it can be applied

this is only the first of more things as far as photography, I will update further things later... if you guys are interested there are lots of neat things. I want to first start with the Basics...

Most of my images use rule of thirds of some kind.... Lets see some of your examples
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

awesome info fred!!.. now all i need to do is find a reasonably priced starter camera to put that info to use

Program Coordinator

As much as I love airplanes, at least 75% of my photography has not been aviation related...

I do my best to give my pictures a lot of "depth" to them. Playing with depth of field adds quite a bit of life to a picture, makes it pop out more. I always move the camera about, try to place different things in the foreground and the background, play with lines and angles.

Not perfect, but it sorta works...

My old film camera actually had a guide frame built into the viewfinder so you could quite easily implement the rule of thirds.
    Shoot first, ask questions later.
    dfalk.smugmug.com

Quote Originally Posted by h2opunk1822
    awesome info fred!!.. now all i need to do is find a reasonably priced starter camera to put that info to use
    Actually, you can practice that with your camera phone! :borat:

Quote Originally Posted by GrummanFan
    As much as I love airplanes, at least 75% of my photography has not been aviation related...

I do my best to give my pictures a lot of "depth" to them........
    The first photo is not really rule of thirds but more framing. I will want to get more into that after rule of thirds and is an excellent example of a perfect framing. The second shot shows rule of thirds nicely.

any more examples of rule of thirds?

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!

Been cleaning out the closet of files once I tranferred them and found one.

And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

You found that thing in your closet :shock: :shock: :shock:

How about this one, Fred:

The horizon (edge of the river) is at the lower third, the bridge tower is at the left third, and the span of the bridge draws your eye in from the corner down to where the two meet.

NO Moose! I meant I am still cleaning computer files since moving them to the Apple!

I'd scream like MIKE and TOM if I saw that thing in my closet!
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

Nice Examples Mario and Moose.... I like the advanced rule of thirds....it show how it can get complex quick!

FRAME

Creatively think of objects to use as a frame. Some examples include branches, windows, tunnels, doorways, and archways.
    Anything that lets you look through one thing at another thing will make a good frame.

Use an interesting frame for your photograph. If possible use a symbolic object for framing your subject, something that has
    a meaning in relation to the subject

Consider depth of field when working with a frame as a foreground object. Since you have a foreground object (the frame)
    and a background object (the subject) you can chose your depth of field. Do you want your foreground to be in focus? If
    so, then use a small aperture to keep the frame and subject in focus. Conversely, if you want only the subject in focus, use
    a large aperture.

Keep the camera’s focusing and lighting sensors on the main subject. If possible, use a foreground frame that is a darker
    object than the background. Expose for the subject in the background and let the frame darken.

Emphasize your subject. All framing directs the viewer’s attention to the subject, but you do not need to always go tightly
    into the frame. You can leave the subject framed but still leave other objects around the edges of the photograph. In this
    photograph the frame is a window, but you can still see the cannon around the edges of the photograph.

I have not been able to use rule of thirds and this, it seems one or the other, I can not find an
    execption....but I am sure there has to be one. Every rule in photography must be broken
    in order to become better. I am still trying but it always seems wrong.....SO FAR
    but I will keep trying!

How about a frame framing a frame, framing a frame...

Thanks for the input Moose.... Those are nice examples and thank you for your post. Those are textbook framing. OK, Lets try a different trick. Balancing the light with a flash.

This is usually me yelling "there is a sunset" portraite time!

Everyone likes a good sunset shot

and the key is underexposure to get the look that most want. Here I am extreme and using Manual mode to get the look.

Now the Key for a nice portrait into the sun, or back lit, or not lit right....on and on

TV mode and get the shot right, but be at or under 200th of a second. (You will need this for later when you use
    the flash)

This next shot is underexposed by a stop, it give the nice rich full color that I want as a backround. I should have
    gone a little darker but will vary by taste. I was shooting almost directly into the sunset...just off to the side

Now the Key
    Get the ISO, Speed, Apature and put those settings into manual mode on the camera....now your locked and should
    be able to take the same exact shot again

Now pop up the flash, the flash will light the foreground (MODEL) and the camera is setup for the backround....the
    TTL flash on the camera with dial up or down the right power to light the subject with the proper exposure yet the
    flash will not help the underexposed backround.

(these pictures were straight from the camera and previous to post processing)

Processed

Not really a sunset but same concept of manual and using flashes to light the foreground, this one is one on camera,
    one off camera and the sun is the the left of frame lighting the side. My off camera flash is the the right of the
    camera 4 feet and 2 feet forward of the camera.

We would be black if it were not for the flash
    (this backround was not underexposed or it would look much better..I had just got my flash)

Like I said, I YELL when I see a nice sunset....ITS PHOTOTIME!!!!

A link on Strobist that explains what I am doing in much more detail
    http://strobist.blogspot.com/2007/09...-twilight.html
    Last edited by Derf; 2012-02-13 at 01:13 PM.

Great thread Fred. highlights the minutiae that I sometimes take a lot of time to tweak.