Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Air France - Pre-Assigned Seating?

Air France - Pre-Assigned Seating?

I haven't been here in a while. How is everyone? :)

I'm going on my now yearly trip to the South of France to visit my family there. Last year I took NW/KL from JFK to MRS, with a connection in AMS. This year, their fares are a bit high! DL/AF seems reasonable, and I prefer DL/AF for the SkyMiles. Here's my question: I originally wanted to book my flights on the Delta website, but a seat I want is under "Preferred Seating." I am not a Medallion Member and cannot select these seats; now I am wondering if I book on the Air France site if I would be able to select this seat...

But does AF offer seat selection with online booking?

Also, is Delta's "Preferred Seating" used on the AF seat selection site? In other words, if I book through AF, would I then be able to select the seats Delta has labeled "Preferred?"

Anyone who has flown AF before and has booked directly at airfrance.us for an international flight, I am very interested in your help. Thanks so much!
    Christos

Re: Air France - Pre-Assigned Seating?

It has been two years since I booked with Air France via their website but I recall not being able to reserve my seat on the website and instead having to call the reservation center. When checking-in online 24 hours before my flights I was able to change my seats to better and the more "preferred seat", especially on the 747-400 when I was able to change my seat to the upper deck.

I wouldn't mind calling reservations for seats after booking online. And your point exactly; I am trying to reserve seating near the engines on the 747-400. I might be taking the B744 on two legs, and would not mind trying the upper deck on my outbound flight. Having never had a seat on the upper deck, is the wing still viewable from the window? I always like to have a portion of the wing in my photographs.
    Christos

Quote Originally Posted by fly.mcs
    I wouldn't mind calling reservations for seats after booking online. And your point exactly; I am trying to reserve seating near the engines on the 747-400. I might be taking the B744 on two legs, and would not mind trying the upper deck on my outbound flight. Having never had a seat on the upper deck, is the wing still viewable from the window? I always like to have a portion of the wing in my photographs.
    This was the view from 66A:

My upper deck experience on Air France was one of the, if not the best flights I have had across the Atlantic in Y. I would highly recommend it on both legs if you have the chance to fly on AF10/11.

Amazing photo! Thank you so much.

Yes, I am definitely flying AF10 on my journey back. Going will be either AF11 or AF5. But now I am very interested in the upper deck.. Would I be able to reserve a seat there if I book four months in advance, or do I have to wait 24 hours before departure?
    Christos

Thanks for the compliment on the photo. :)

You'd have to wait 24 hours before departure to snag an upper deck seat. All seats on the upper deck are blocked off for premium members until 24 hours before the flight and in my experience when I checked-in online 24 hours before departure it was a rather empty cabin but full when I boarded.

Ok, so when I do call reservations right after booking, it would be fine to choose, say, seat 15L, on the main deck just in front of the engine? That way, if I am unable to get an upper deck window seat 24 hours prior to departure, I will still have an engine view. [On delta.com, seat 15L on the AF B744 is listed as a Preferred Seat. Is this the case with AF?]

And then 24 hours before departure, I will be able to change this seat assignment?
    Christos

That is correct.

Thanks so much for your help! I couldn't be more excited :)
    Christos

I belive for $50 extra on AF you can reserve the upper deck at booking also AF10 switchs between a A340 and B744 on bifferent days I've been on both so double check which day you are flying
    Overheard on JFK TOWER - S Turns are fine, U-Turns are bad....

"To Book, or Not To Book?"

...so I was on the AirFrance site booking my JFK-CDG-MRS-CDG-JFK flights. Previously the fare was 1206,78 for my selected dates booked in Q/L. Today it is 929,03 for the same dates, but booked in N/L. The same flights booked through Delta are about 1217. Booking with N/L through AirFrance, I will not be eligible to acquire SkyMiles. But the price is so much cheaper! LOL, any thoughts?

I'm thinking, if there is a $50 fee to book the upper deck, the lower fare might be a way to go..
    Christos

Hey Gordon, I just booked my flights! I'll be on AF011 and AF010, both with the B747-400. I went through the online seat selection, but the forward economy seats were already reserved; I wanted 14A or 15A, right near the engines. I'm guessing these are "preferred" seating. Should I give web support a call (+18009923932) in the morning to see about getting these seats?

Then 30 hours before departure, I will try to snag a seat on the upper deck!
    Christos

Congrats, I hope you enjoy the experience as much as I did. :)

About calling web support, if the seats are blocked online chances are there won't be much they can do. Always worth a shot though.

It's 30 hours before my flight, so I'm checked-in! I was able to reserve a seat on the upper deck for $65. I'm not complaining: my ticket was rather cheap, most airlines have first/business on the upper level (which is pricey), and I have never experienced a flight on the upper level. So overall I am very much EXCITED!

Also checked-in for the flight from Paris to Marseille, and I reserved a seat just in front of the engine! I'll be doing some filming and will post...

Stay tuned!
    Christos

Christos