Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: US Air 1549 ATC Tapes released

US Air 1549 ATC Tapes released

Passengers should NEVER leave babies in an infant carrier while it goes through the X-ray machine"
    --TSA.GOV website

U.S Airways 1549/ATC communication

It's hard to take chances but sometimes it's better if you do

http://www.southpawcaptures.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/southpawcaptures/
    On Twitter @southpawcapture

Re: US Air 1549 ATC Tapes released

Thanks for posting guys, I merged both your threads into this one.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

I'm honestly not familiar with ATC emergency procedures, but I hope there was more going on behind the scenes once he said he was going into the Hudson, no?
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D.
    I'm honestly not familiar with ATC emergency procedures, but I hope there was more going on behind the scenes once he said he was going into the Hudson, no?
    See http://www.faa.gov/data_statistics/acci ... dent/1549/ for all of the tapes released by the FAA. The Cab Coordinator had his hands full.
    Jason
    CFI/CFII
    Part 135 Dispatch

Quote Originally Posted by HPNPilot1200
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil D.
    See http://www.faa.gov/data_statistics/acci ... dent/1549/ for all of the tapes released by the Cab Coordinator had his hands full.
    Pretty cool listening to the Class B tapes. Just an ordinary day for helicopter N461SA on a tour and helicopter N152TA (both AStars) when the Class B controller advises them of the Airbus just north of the GWB at 900 descending. Both pilots say they have the plane in sight and the controller says we may have an "incident". The female pilot of 1SA radios "they hit the water". Both ships stay close giving
    tower info. Eventually both go on their way. Interesting it sounds like 1SA continues their tour and then heads down to Wall Street. I kept the audio running and Cablevision N381CV was coming in from the east apparently unaware of what was going on and wanted to land at W30Street. They are advised a TFR was put up and they had options to land at either LGA or East 34st. THey chose 34st.
    As the tape rolls you can hear 23Fox Hotel responding in then later PD 12. PD 12 stays with LGA as there were 4 helicopters working the
    incident low level. Along with PD 23 there was a PD Koala and Port 1. Then just before the tape stops Nassau 5 "a flight of two" is coming in from the east to head into the Hudson area. Finally N406TD at the Alpine Tower heads into LGA MAT as all the Manhattan heliports were now shutdown. Very very cool hearing this behind the scenes transmissions of that day.
    BTW the action starts around the 9 minute mark, with the aircraft down at 15:00, N23FH at 20:00, PD 12 at 36:00 and Nassau 5 at 42:00.
    Thanks for the link.

Its amazing how calm he is knowing hes about to go down

Is the ATC the same as the one in this classic clip from JFK? My wife swears it is.

Great oppurtunity for those on this site who are ATC fans, as all these links can provide hours of listening. I agree with Gerard that the Class B is the most interesting, listening to the two helicopter pilots providing live reports from scene was amazing.

For those who listened to ground you can here Cactus 2179 returning to the gate for MTC. It is the FO on the freq but the Captain is a good friend and they had a pretty big problem that kept that 319 here for a few days being repaired.

I am impressed the FAA provided so much access to so much interesting info.

Regards

LGA777

Quote Originally Posted by Jonesbeach
    Is the ATC the same as the one in this classic clip from JFK? My wife swears it is.
    Doesn't really sound like him.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Watchin' EWR from somewhere in the 40.66 x -74.26 range...

Quote Originally Posted by GothamSpotter
    Doesn't really sound like him.
    I don't know. I think it could go either way. Regardless, definitely sounds like he probably ended up popping a few bottle tops that weekend. Eeek. :shock:
    Cheers,
    Matt, W2MJR

Rookie Planespotter/Veteran Railfan
    "The movie should have been called Planes, Trains, & More Planes and Trains! Danged stupid automobiles!" -Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by Lezam
    Its amazing how calm he is knowing hes about to go down
    Even when faced with imminent death, most pilots would rather sound like Chuck Yeager than Charlie Brown on the tapes. :D

They aired the ATC clips of US Air 1549 during the emergency last night on NBC-TV. It was amazing how calm Capt. Sullenberger remained; a true professional. I also noticed that the flight was referred to as 1529 several times on the tape. It was also revealed that the ATC at the LGA Tower was named Patrick Hardin. If correct, how was that information revealed? Usually, the public is not given the names of the controllers.

.> I also noticed that the flight was referred to as 1529 several times on the tape.<

And I believe 1539 also.

>As the tape rolls you can hear 23Fox Hotel responding in then later PD 12.<

Was listening to this again and when 23 Fox Hotel calls ATC they cleared him in then the controller said "no furthur west than, I'm
    sorry, as requested". I guess at first he didnt realize this was a PD helo. See even unmarked orally as well as visually. LOL!!