Thread: Dolan fails at controlling the news

Dolan fails at controlling the news

So what many suspected when Cablevision bought Newsday last year sort of came true last week. Jimmy D (Dolan) the recovering alcoholic, ex drug addict (his own words btw) CEO of Cablevision tried sacking Newsday's Editor because he didn't like what Newsday wrote about Cablevision.

The leadership of Cablevision is a total joke... I worked there for 10 years and I have never had such a lack of respect for Sr. Management before then at that company. This kind of leadership at Cablevision or at any company that owns a news outlet and tries to control what's reported about the parent company is a disgrace. This is just more egg on Dolan's face and more proof that he is totally incompetent and should not be running a multibillion dollar company.

Newsday editor back on job after Cablevision dispute
    BY JAMES T. MADORE

[email protected]

8:42 PM EST, January 20, 2009

A dispute between Newsday editor John Mancini and owner Cablevision Systems Corp. over editorial content appeared to have been resolved Tuesday, when he returned to the newspaper's Melville headquarters.

Speaking to newsroom staff, Mancini said his absence since Wednesday "was due to a difference of opinion with ownership over the editorial policy of Newsday. That has been settled."

He declined to offer details, but said: "No one outside the newsroom influences . . . our news coverage in any way." Applause erupted, followed by many questions from staffers.

Mancini said there would be "no change in direction. Our only concern is that we get it right. Let's do our jobs and tell the story straight."

Asked whether the words "you're fired" or "I quit" were used in his disagreement with Cablevision, he said, "Words to that effect were uttered."

Rumors have circulated that Cablevision was angry about coverage of a sex harassment lawsuit filed against Eddy Curry of the New York Knicks; the team also is owned by the Bethpage-based cable operator. Mancini declined to comment when asked whether Knicks' coverage sparked the dispute.

Such confrontations aren't unusual after a news organization is purchased by a company with no previous industry experience, experts said, citing similar controversies after General Electric brought NBC and Walt Disney Co. purchased ABC.

"These sorts of growing pains are not unheard of . . . what is important is what's learned from the confrontation, not that the confrontation occurred," said Tom Rosenstiel, director of the Washington-based Pew Research Centers' Project for Excellence in Journalism. "The newspaper is in the business of telling it like it is and that's a hard lesson to learn."

Mancini said he had decided not to return to the newsroom "until I had clarity that the editor was expected to perform his job as he had done."

When asked when he got clarity, he said "this morning."

Mancini said Publisher Timothy P. Knight, who declined to comment, and some at Cablevision had been supportive of his stance.

While staffers seemed relieved that Mancini had apparently protected newsroom integrity, many in their questions expressed concern that similar confrontations could lie ahead.

"I do sense a great deal of skepticism on the part of colleagues," said reporter Zachary R. Dowdy, editorial vice president for Local 406 of the Graphic Communications Conference/International Brotherhood of Teamsters. "Right now, we are looking at it with pretty guarded optimism."

But Mancini said he felt the disagreement had produced an "understanding" of the need for newsroom independence. He also said Newsday's coverage is "valued at the highest levels" of Cablevision. "They said they liked the paper."

Cablevision purchased Newsday last year for $650 million. Since then there have been few changes in the top ranks of the newspaper's management.

Managing editor Deborah Henley also returned to the newsroom Tuesday. Managing editor Debby Krenek was in Melville on Monday. Both declined to comment Tuesday.

A Cablevision spokesman referred questions to Newsday where spokeswoman Deidra Parrish Williams said, "In the course of getting to know one another, it is not at all uncommon for businesses to have thoughtful and impassioned exchanges of ideas. The positive outcome reaffirms the integrity of Newsday's coverage."

Staff writers Emi Endo and Carrie Mason-Draffen contributed to this story.

Copyright © 2009, Newsday Inc.

Re: Dolan fails at controlling the news

Fortunately Newsday doesn't fall under Jimmy's part of the company, it reports to Tom Rutledge, and it appears as if he won this round.

Quote Originally Posted by moose135
    Fortunately Newsday doesn't fall under Jimmy's part of the company, it reports to Tom Rutledge, and it appears as if he won this round.
    Jon trust me...Jimmy D has his hand in everything....

"I love the synergy, Lemon! It's just like how we include a free Heroes DVD with every missile guidance system we sell." –Jack Donaghy, NBC/GE exec on 30 Rock
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9