Thread: Spotting at Opa Locka and Fort Lauderdale Exec

Spotting at Opa Locka and Fort Lauderdale Exec

Hi folks,
    Can anybody tell me if it's still possible to gain access to Opa Locka and Fort Lauderdale Exec without the threat of being arrested as I haven't been to either for over twenty years.

Cheers Peter.

Re: Spotting at Opa Locka and Fort Lauderdale Exec

There are no problems spotting at either place.

Opa Locka you can supposedly see the airport manager and get permission to look around, but not sure how much more that gets you than just driving round the place on your own.

At FXE there is a public viewing area somewhere on the airport, but again I usually just drive around the place and get what I can.

for FXE go down past banyan and it will be on your right hand side. it was still there when i was there last 2 years ago. KBCT has a decent place too but for me the best was off of glades on the overpass you can see straight down the runway.

I loved going to FXE!!! My in-laws had an apartment in Margate and we used to go down there in Feb.when the kids were young and school was out for the week. It was about a 20 minute ride from the apt to FXE!! LOTS of helos there including Broward County Sheriffs Dept ships. Had a nice conversation with one of the pilot/deputies while my two boys climbed around an AStar. I used to do a one day spotting trip hitting FXE, Opa Locka then down to Tamiami (KTMB). And even though this was years ago I never had any problems and like "markg" wrote, I just drove around and saw everything I wanted to see.