Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: US Airways A320 Down in NYC Hudson River

Re: US Airways A320 Down in NYC Hudson River

They have released the NYFD dispatch tapes, warning it's almost a 24 min recording.

http://www.nypost.com/video/?vxSiteId=a ... itrate=300

Regards

LGA777

>They have released the NYFD dispatch tapes, warning it's almost a 24 min recording.<

Pretty intense stuff especially when the job is confirmed and they declare a "10-60" Major Incident. You can imagine what
    is going through the minds of all the first responders upon hearing of a commercial jetliner in the water. I thought the
    Manhattan FD dispatcher did a very good job and you can also hear the Bronx dispatcher in the background also receiving
    calls.

The Aircraft will be going to Weeks Marine on Linden Ave in Jersey City. Other recoveries have been brought there. From there would be anyone's guess.
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

You beat me to it Bill! Wow, what a difference a day makes, it was almost toasty warm today compared to Saturday! I was disappointed that they lifted the jet last night after we waited all day, but when I heard it was still at Battery Park City, I had to take a run in.

That's not you, is it, Ron?

And on JP.net:
    http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=6465555

Watchin' EWR from somewhere in the 40.66 x -74.26 range...

Quote Originally Posted by Corey
    So clearly one of the engines stayed on, is the other side gone?

Corey
    Yes. Apparently broke off on impact. They found it last night I think, using sonar. It was in the drink basically where N106US came to rest.
    Cheers,
    Matt, W2MJR

Rookie Planespotter/Veteran Railfan
    "The movie should have been called Planes, Trains, & More Planes and Trains! Danged stupid automobiles!" -Anonymous

I hung out down there for awhile today hoping to see them move it but I gave up after a couple hours...1010WINS now says the barge is finally on the move. Oh well.

Here are some shots I got. So many trucks, trees and people in the way, I only had my short lens.

Bonus! Some other vehicles you don't normally find on the river: about 40 recently retired subway cars on their way to being reefed on the bottom of the Atlantic.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Sunday evening update:

* The barge carrying the plane has completed its journey across the river to Jersey City.
    * NYPD believes it has located the missing left engine via sonar, but will not send divers down there to verify until Tuesday due to the ice in the river.
    * Capt. Sullenberger will not appear on the Today show Monday morning as originally planned after being asked by the pilot's union to wait.
    * There is word that Capt. Sullenberger and his family have been invited to the inauguration on Tuesday.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Quote Originally Posted by GothamSpotter
    Floyd Bennett is my first guess, followed by JFK. Not sure there's any room for it at LGA, and I don't think NTSB would want to move it as far as PHL and risk further damage during transport.

I also don't think US would risk reusing any parts at this point, having been waterlogged and now partially frozen.
    I think Airbus wants it for long term examination and to avoid parts being used.

The place where it is being kept in NJ, is there any public places to see it? Or did they get it into a hanger or something like that already?
    Patrick O --- Staten Island, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Alessio
    Floyd Bennett is my first guess, followed by JFK. Not sure there's any room for it at LGA, and I don't think NTSB would want to move it as far as PHL and risk further damage during transport.

I also don't think US would risk reusing any parts at this point, having been waterlogged and now partially frozen.
    I think Airbus wants it for long term examination and to avoid parts being used.
    It’s not up to Airbus. Once the insurance company determines the damages, and I'm sure it’s a total loss as salt water has a habit of destroying anything it touches, the insurance company will own the plane. After that what happens to it is anyone’s guess. I'm sure if Airbus wants the plane something will be worked out.

Have any lawsuits been filed yet? You know someone out of the 150 ppl on board will try to get something from US or whoever they can squeeze a dime out of.

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bird76
    Quote Originally Posted by Alessio

It’s not up to Airbus. Once the insurance company determines the damages, and I'm sure it’s a total loss as salt water has a habit of destroying anything it touches, the insurance company will own the plane. After that what happens to it is anyone’s guess. I'm sure if Airbus wants the plane something will be worked out.

Have any lawsuits been filed yet? You know someone out of the 150 ppl on board will try to get something from US or whoever they can squeeze a dime out of.
    Well the first real day of business since that accident and figure a day to be relieved...isn't until Tuesday.

So I wouldn't say that quite yet...

I see Airbus getting sued for not building an aircraft that can float. I see IAE getting sued for not having engines capable of supporting injesting a 200lb dog and I see the states of NY and NJ named for not having marine terminals operational.

Being grateful for life only lasts so long...

They should sue Canada... a squadron of their geese flew into restricted airspace and did not file a flight plan.....Or maybe U.S. Air should give every passenger a Duck Dinner....think how one of those broken engines could be made into a roitissory with little effort! :borat: Just think, they would get a first class meal yet only paid for coach.
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

Watchin' EWR from somewhere in the 40.66 x -74.26 range...

Perhaps even a free goose hunt in Ontario?? :lol:

All jokes aside though, I really hope nobody sues. I mean, I know that's like asking lead to float (no pun intended), but they all did live! I agree with whoever it was who said that if any money is gained from legal action against either U.S. Airways or Airbus, it should all be put into a college fund for the crew's families. I mean...c'mon...they did kind of earn it on this one!
    Cheers,
    Matt, W2MJR

Rookie Planespotter/Veteran Railfan
    "The movie should have been called Planes, Trains, & More Planes and Trains! Danged stupid automobiles!" -Anonymous

I think the TSA/Customs should be to blame for this incident.. Everyone is saying Canadian geese... but did anyone think to check their passports??