Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: US Airways A320 Down in NYC Hudson River

Re: US Airways A320 Down in NYC Hudson River

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D.
    Anyone know the plane's destination?
    Foxnews tonight said a "secure location in NJ". My guess is somewhere in Bayonne then

>I was out there with Bill and Moose today, great to shot with you guys today! Even though the weather was cr@p (it felt like 10 degrees out) it was worth it.

Great job under trying conditions. As of 11PM tonite crews are still working to lift the aircraft out. And reportedly it will be taken
    to NJ for investigation.
    Covering this and waiting must have been frustrating. At 9:25 tonite I heard Chopper 12 telling FRG they were cancelled by their
    assignment desk and were heading back in. The pilot told tower they had been back and forth all day from 9AM into Manhattan.
    And from pictures it sure looks like a media circus down there.

I'm going to guess Floyd Bennett..... Unless they place the A/C on the barge in just the right position and time the tide correctly it will not fit through the A-Train trestle in Jamaica bay
    You're Never Too Young To Be A Dirty Old Man

Quote Originally Posted by NYCMedic
    I'm going to guess Floyd Bennett..... Unless they place the A/C on the barge in just the right position and time the tide correctly it will not fit through the A-Train trestle in Jamaica bay
    Isn't that a drawbridge?
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

More photos of the lift: http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Pl ... udson.html

New! Photos shot by a passenger after getting rescued: http://www.ireport.com/docs/DOC-183399? ... 2Fnewsiest

Quote Originally Posted by NYCMedic
    I can only speak for the 757 and 767, which do in fact have a ditch switch.

Who operates 757s and 767s with a "Ditch Switch?"
    Sorry for bringing this back up.

No one has a switch that can close all panels other than Airbus. Boeing never made a Ditch Button for the 75s/76s. You pretty much have to manually turn off all inlets. But on 757's/767's they do not have external PACK or CAB ALT "covers" that can close. So I guess they close up internally. I know on Airbus a/c they have a cover for every inlet obviously since the Ditching button controls them all.

This is the procedure for Ditching a Boeing. You can see you have to turn off all inlets manually.

For a 757/767

1. Distress Signal............................................ ...............................................Tra nsmit
    “Mayday, Mayday, Mayday”
    Transmit present position, altitude, heading, speed, type of aircraft, situation
    and intentions. Estimate time and position of intended touchdown, and
    request intercept.
    2. Transponder .................................................. .................................. Set code 7700
    3. Considerations:
    • Plan Flaps 30 unless another configuration is required
    • Conditions permitting, burn off fuel to reduce touchdown speed and increase
    buoyancy
    4. Advise flight attendants and passengers to prepare for ditching. Seat passengers
    as far forward as possible.
    Below 5000 feet:
    5. GND PROX/CONFIG GEAR OVRD Switch ................................................. OVRD
    6. PACK Control Selectors (both)............................................ ............................ OFF
    7. CABIN ALTITUDE MODE SELECT .................................................. ..............MAN
    8. CABIN ALTITUDE MANUAL CONTROL Selector ................................DESCEND
    [Positions outflow valve fully closed.]
    9. SEAT BELT/NO SMOKING........................................... ....................................ON
    10. Life Vests, Shoulder Harnesses & Seat Belts .................................................. .ON
    11. Considerations:
    • Plan touchdown upwind side & parallel to waves and swells
    12. Review after-ditching actions:
    • Initiate evacuation
    • Proceed to primary ditching stations (captain 1L, first officer 1R), launch rafts
    and evacuate the airplane as soon as practical
    • Ensure Emergency Locator Transmitter onboard slide/raft
    13. Passenger Cabin .................................................. ..................................... Secured
    14. Final Position .................................................. ...........................................Transmi t
    [Transmit all pertinent information regarding final ditching position.]
    Final Approach (Omit Landing Checklist):
    15. Landing Gear Lever (do not extend)........................................... ........................UP
    16. Flaps............................................. ......Verify .................................................. .....30
    17. Just prior to touchdown (30 secs)............................................. ........ Advise on PA,
    “Brace For Impact”
    18. Maintain airspeed at VREF 30 to touchdown.
    19. Flare airplane to achieve minimum rate of descent at touchdown.
    Do not stall the airplane.
    20. Ditching Preparation Checklist complete.

For a 737

1. Distress Signal......................................Transm it “MAYDAY, MAYDAY, MAYDAY”
    Transmit present position, flight level, heading, speed, type of aircraft,
    situation, souls on board, estimated time and position of intended touchdown,
    and request intercept.
    2. Transponder .................................................. .................................. Set code 7700
    3. Considerations:
    • Burn off fuel to reduce touchdown speed and increase buoyancy.
    • Plan flaps 40 landing unless another configuration is required.
    4. Flight Attendants .................................................. ........................................... Brief
    Seat passengers as far forward as possible.
    [Brief flight attendants on emergency landing in time for cabin preparation.
    Advise that the “Brace For Impact” signal will occur over the PA approximately
    30 seconds before touchdown.]
    Caution
    Ensure Aft Doors are not opened unless absolutely necessary, as
    they may be partially submerged.
    5. Cockpit........................................... .................................................. ...........Prepare
    Strap down all loose articles. Don life vests at the earliest opportunity, do not
    inflate inside aircraft. Remove uniform ties and any sharp objects from pockets.
    6. Ditching Checklist complete

Ditching Descent Approach Checklist
    1. Altimeters ........................................... Verify......................... __.__/or transition FL
    2. Bugs.............................................. ..... Verify............................ Set (VREF as req’d)
    When below 5,000 feet
    3. Aural Warning circuit breaker (P6 panel) .................................................. ........ Pull
    [Prevents warning horn with gear retracted and landing flaps selected.]
    4. Seat Belt/No Smoking........................................... .............................................ON
    5. Engine BLEED Switches.......................................... ........................................OFF
    [Permits depressurizing the airplane with outflow valve closed.]
    6. Pressurization Mode Selector .................................................. .................MAN DC
    7. Outflow Valve Switch .................................................. ................................CLOSE
    [The outflow valve takes up to 20 seconds to close. Prevents water from
    entering the airplane.]
    8. APU Switch .................................................. .................................................. ..OFF
    9. GROUND PROXIMITY .................................................. .......GEAR/FLAP INHIBIT
    10. GPWS OVRD/FAIL Switch............................................ ............. OVERRIDE
    GROUND PROXIMITY .................................................. ......TERR INHIBIT
    11. Life Vests, Shoulder Harnesses, & Seat Belts .................................................. . On
    12. Passenger Cabin Preparation....................................... ................Check Complete
    [Ensure passenger cabin preparations are complete. Seat passengers with life
    vests on and seat belts fastened.]
    13. Final Position .................................................. .......................................... Transmit
    [Transmit all pertinent information regarding final ditching position.]
    14. Landing considerations:
    • Plan touchdown on upwind side & parallel to waves and swells.
    • Maintain VREF and 200-300 fpm sink rate to flare.
    • At flare, rotate smoothly to touchdown attitude (10°-12°), maintain speed
    and minimum rate of descent with thrust.
    • At touchdown, reduce thrust to idle.
    15. After impact considerations:
    • Start Levers to CUTOFF.
    [Closes fuel shutoff valves to prevent discharge of fuel from ruptured
    fuel lines.]
    • Open cockpit windows to ensure no residual cabin differential pressure
    prevents opening doors or emergency exits.
    • Engine and APU Fire Shutoff Handles override, pull and rotate.
    • Initiate evacuation.
    • Proceed to primary ditching stations (captain 1L, F/O 1R), launch rafts and
    evacuate the airplane as soon as practical.
    [The airplane may remain afloat indefinitely if fuel load is minimal and
    no serious damage was sustained during landing.]
    16. “Ditching Descent Approach Checklist” complete.
    Ditching Landing Checklist
    1. LANDING GEAR (Do Not Extend) ..... Verify............................................ ..UP/OFF
    2. FLAPS............................................. ... Verify............................ _____, Green Light
    3. “Ditching Landing Checklist” complete, and
    ? Just prior to touchdown (30 sec) advise on PA ”Brace for impact”.

The pilots reported that they never even used the ditch switch.

Water was only in the cabin because a passenger opened a door open a little bit that she wasn't supposed to.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Quote Originally Posted by GothamSpotter
    Unbelievable... all there yesterday. And they decide to do it as I'm packing my gear for Sunday lol.
    Patrick O --- Staten Island, NY

Watchin' EWR from somewhere in the 40.66 x -74.26 range...

Quote Originally Posted by njgtr82
    Anyone know the plane's destination?
    Foxnews tonight said a "secure location in NJ". My guess is somewhere in Bayonne then
    Yeah, it's looking like the old Bayonne Naval Terminal.
    Cheers,
    Matt, W2MJR

Rookie Planespotter/Veteran Railfan
    "The movie should have been called Planes, Trains, & More Planes and Trains! Danged stupid automobiles!" -Anonymous

We have all heard so much about Sully, but here is a little bit about the F/O Jeff.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/01172009/ne ... 150583.htm

I read on another site the crew was on their last leg of a 4 day trip, and they had flown PIT-CLT-LGA and then 1549 to CLT. Ship 106 started her day in chiily MSP, flying MSP-CLT-LGA before operating 1549 to CLT.

Regards

LGA777

So clearly one of the engines stayed on, is the other side gone?

Corey

Did anyone know G-BOAD making an appearance it ehbackground of the USCG video?
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Did anyone know G-BOAD making an appearance it ehbackground of the USCG video?
    Yeah, I saw that. In fact on A.net someone asked "Am I seeing things, or was there a Concorde on that video?" I reminded him we have things like that in NYC.