Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122 LastLast

Thread: US Airways A320 Down in NYC Hudson River

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!

Re: US Airways A320 Down in NYC Hudson River

Well, we are the locals.

Anyone up for drinks this weekend? At the Half Pint?
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

Sully made the cover of People !

http://www.people.com/people/article/0, ... 24,00.html

Was actually a pretty decent article with a few nice photos of the crew.

And for you animal lovers another side to the Sullenbergers.

http://www.peoplepets.com/news/hero/us- ... hero-too/1

Regards

LGA777

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

Today I was forwarded some pictures of the fuselage of N106US being transported through East Rutherford, NJ. That's what the caption claimed anyway.

I might assume it went to TEB but as a former resident I can't see why they would route that way to get there or what suitable facilities would be there.

Quote Originally Posted by DennyB
    Today I was forwarded some pictures of the fuselage of N106US being transported through East Rutherford, NJ. That's what the caption claimed anyway.

I might assume it went to TEB but as a former resident I can't see why they would route that way to get there or what suitable facilities would be there.
    No, it was taken up to a salvage facility in Harrison, NY - I assume the NTSB was finished with it.

Quote Originally Posted by moose135
    Quote Originally Posted by DennyB

No, it was taken up to a salvage facility in Harrison, NY - I assume the NTSB was finished with it.
    Its with the Challenger that crashed into the wherehouse a few years ago at TEB. The challenger might be removed now that the lawsuits are settled.

I had read the that Sully had a book deal in the works but it now appears he actually has two.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/29796622/?GT1=43001

On a side note after attending the Airline Collectibles event at the LGA Marriott Cortyard Hotel yesterday I was a little surprised to see a decent sized plaque near the front desk honoring the crew of US 1549, there where pictures of Sully, Mark, and Donna Dent, when staying at the hotel, which seemed very proud to have them as guests.

Regards

LGA777

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!

I plan on reading one of the books when the time comes.

I have nothing but respect and pride for the guy. But lately I felt a bit annoyed that he's become the posterchild for Pilots, unions and the rest of it.

I think it was a few weeks ago he was in Congress and the subject came up. While he's a hero, I fail to see how they are trying to connect it with union talk.

Nothing but respect and admiration for him but I think the union talk should be separate from the events that day.
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

With Cell phones you can hit a cell site all over. If a person calling the airplane down hits a NJ cell site. The 911 operator will need what city is the caller in. The Hudson River is huge. It runs from NYC to upstate NY. Police and fire dept's need the exact location not just Hudson river.
    The plane went over the GWB before landing in the water. A person calling from the GWB might hit a Westchester County cell site and Get a Westchester Police operator. Now Could Westchester Police units see the crash site from Yonkers? NO, could they see it from the Tappan zee Bridge, NO! That why it is necessary to ask what city. Could NYC units see the crash site from Brooklyn, NO! Could NJ units see the plane from Lodi or West NY, NO!
    Why send units all over the place to look for a downed plane instead of asking for a more direct location. Time is of the essence. They need to find the plane fast in order to save lives.
    911 operators are the lifeline connecting the public to Fire/EMS and Police dept's. We need to ask questions that might seem obvious to you. But need to be asked in order to send the proper units to the correct location.

Ed,
    FDNY EMS
    Dispatcher

No, I did not dispatch the crash

Actually a good post, Ed. Thanks! Welcome to the site.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Quote Originally Posted by JFK31right
    911 operators are the lifeline connecting the public to Fire/EMS and Police dept's. We need to ask questions that might seem obvious to you. But need to be asked in order to send the proper units to the correct location.

Ed,
    FDNY EMS
    Dispatcher

No, I did not dispatch the crash
    As long as you ask the questions on the Kardex
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

Here is a fascinating but very long article about US 1549 from the June issue of vanity fair, and there is some interesting stuff not previously seen in other articles. Allow about 20 mins if you want to read, will be worth it for many of you, especially the pilots in the group.

http://www.vanityfair.com/style/feature ... rentPage=1

Enjoy,

LGA777

Thats quite an account, I particularly like the last line. "the Airbus floated nose-high in the river, still refusing to die."

Well done ship 106..

A little late to the race but I just wanted to put out there that I am very proud to say that I worked for USAirways at LGA and can call everyone from USAirways former co workers. Well done, bravo and cheers. :borat:
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

On that note, I'll share something interesting I saw the other day... a car parked on my street with the license plate SULY1549.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9